No CSF blockage = No Chiari Symptoms?

I was diagnosed in August with a 7mm chiari malformation. However, after a cine MRI showed no CSF blockage the neurologist says that this tiny malformation could not possibly be the cause of my symptoms. Any of you out there have symptoms and no CSF blockage? The MRI also showed cervical stenosis.

DJ,

You don't need to be blocked to have symptoms from Chiari. It's just one factor. Most nl don't see enough Chiari patients to really know what they are talking about when it comes to Chiari. Your best bet is to find a neurosurgeon that treats a lot of Chiari patients and make an appointment. Most will have you send in any test results and films that you have before hand. Just because you are going to see a neurosurgeon doesn't mean you have to have surgery. You will just get a better picture of your options.

Wendy

I agree with the above. Consult with a neurosurgeon. Also as far as the CINE goes just because you don't have a total blockage doesn't mean things are normal. I would have a NS experienced with chiari review the MRI. Mine was read by the local radiologist as normal but in fact the flow was very abnormal and partially blocked.