My son is sick..is this normal?

Good Morning all,

As you know Steven (18) had his decompression surgery this past September and has been doing great with his recovery! he has not had a headache, his IBS is vertually gone, his anxiety has finally settled down, he has gained 15lbs back. BUT the fatigue is still there, he can sleep 12hrs and still complain he is tired.

My real question is..this past couple weeks he has been fighting a cold/cough/sore throat. he went to the on call dr. last week and told them that his girlfriend has had mono a couple months ago.. just to let him know. he did a blood tests and the mono was negative and his cbc/liver were fine. He was told it was just viral. Well yesterday i took him back to his primary Dr. because he had slept for almost 18 hrs and fell asleep in the shower, he also said his throat was hurting. His primary dr. confirmed that he didn't think it was mono because of all the blood work being fine. He looked at his throat and said he has strep and possibly walking pneumonia, did a chest x-ray and that was fine. he prescribed him a z-pack with a refill. He also said his lymph nodes and glands are very swollen. I told him I was very concerned about the fact that he cant stay awake for more than 5 min. and asked if this could be related to his surgery...could he have an infection from that and he said NO because the blood work would have showed it.

I am just a little worried about him being so tired...he slept all day yesterday, took me 30min to wake him for dinner, he practically ate with his eyes closed and then went back to bed, he is still sleeping..It is difficult to wake him and keep him awake...I know he is fighting this cough/sore throat ...but does anybody out there think I should contact his NS??

Thanks

Charlene

I have chronic fatigue and my surgery was June 4th 2012. It is major surgery and the body needs time to heal. I would call the NS for peace of mind but also remember healing for the body does not happen overnight. If he has a viral infection his body is also working harder to heal from the surgery and fight the infection. I hope he feels better.