My sister had decompression surgery 5 days ago, very nauseous and still in hospital. Help

My little sister Julie, has chiari 1 malformation and syringomyelia. Bless her heart she is in New York now still in the hospital after having surgery 5 days ago. She has been very nauseous and has not been able to get over it. She should have been on her way home today back to Alabama. I just have felt so overwhemed for her and worried. Her husband Chris is with her. I just wanted to get some feed back from anyone that can help please!

Everyone responds differently. I am sure that things will be better soon, just let them take their time with her that... she is in good hands. Better than them sending her home too soon.

Your sister just had a pretty big surgery... Nausea is really common after any kind of surgery, with all the pain meds, changes in environment, physical pain, etc. She's in New York which means she's probably got one of the top Chiari doctors watching over her. Everyone heals differently - maybe this is just her path to feeling better!

Good luck,

Katrina W.

Sometimes it’s very hard to get the nausea under control then they’re considering the traveling which they probably don’t want her to do right now. Time is what she needs. My thoughts are with your sister and your family

Keep us posted on how your sister is doing! Once her brain adjusts to it's new "normal" she should be feeling a lot better!

I’m sure just talking to her eased your mind. It’s probably very hard to be away from her children but at the same time she needs the time for herself right now and I know if my kids are in the same building or country for that matter I’m using my bed as a headquarters to get them organized so maybe it’s good she’s kind of out of touch for a week. Then she can go home and then headquarter from her bed at home lol. I’m so happy she’s doing we’ll :slight_smile:

I feel bad that she has to be away from her kids but like Brandi says it could actually be beneficial to her healing! Also depending on the age of her kids it could scare them to see her looking ill. Believe me you look a little wild when you come out of brain surgery! lol!

Hang in there, Tagg. I experienced the nausea and vertigo after my surgery, too. Hopefully your sister will feel better with everyday that passes:) it’s hard work getting over this surgery and everyone is different. I hope she gets released soon and gets home to her family.