My malformation doesn't extend as far as some

Heres the problem. You will always be able to find a surgeon who will perform Posterior fossa decompression surgery. Its an easy quick surgery to do. (in terms of brain surgery) Not to mention very profitable (less an Issue in Canada) All you are doing is what brain surgeons do to prepare for the more complicated surgeries do. But unless you have a syrinx, or a reduced flow (by real measurement not a CINE MRI) making more room for tonsils that aren't enlarged is expected to do what? It is true the size doesn't matter if you are symptomatic. But some of those other things have to exist for surgery to be of any use.

SO if it were me, my idea would I'd be looking for a more complete evaluation considering CSF flow and syrinx, not a size doesn't matter guy. Now if even with very small herniation, if some of the other factors exist then its possible that Posterior fossa decompression surgery can help. With results considered "good" only 40% of the time (Conquer Chiaris numbers not mine) and any surgery having a 30% placebo rate. I'd look long and hard at all the factors and listen closely to what all the docs are telling me. desperation can lead to emotional decisions. Experiencing what you are could certainly lead one to think any port in a storm...............

Gertrude said:

Mine does not show up but I am symptomatic. And my family doctor agrees with his and my diagnosis. But I have never had medical support as what to do or support mentally until this forum. I live in the Edmonton, AB area.
Any ideas?

Hello St Paul, the size of the herniation doesn’t matter it all depends on the CSF flow. Your herniation could be small but wide causing blockage. I would suggest looking for a neurosurgeon that specializes in chiari. Take care!