Questiin about CINE MRI

I finally got a referral to NS/NL thru Wash U here in st. Louis, MO. Hoping for the best and sending my reports/scans over.
When I called for the appt and told the receptionist that my last neuro told me “the herniation size isn’t enough to be concerned (mine is 7mm) and I can see fluid around ur brain, ur not symptomatic”… she started trying to get me in right away and said that doc doesn’t know what he’s talking about. FINALLY!! SO, I’m still in constant excruciating pain since Monday, but maybe help is on the way.
So, my question about CINE MRI… my doctor called in Loricet for pain, (which I don’t expect to work) but my concern with getting the pain to go away is… if I get thru this episode before a CINE MRI is ordered, then if my pain is not as bad when I go, will that hinder the MRI? For instance, maybe the spinal fluid is more impeded right now and if the pain subsides some, does that mean the flow has changed? I’m not sure if this is all coming out right but I’d appreciate info if anyone has experience or can relate. Thanks again. Hope you’re all well.
Kathleen

If you indeed have a 7mm obstruction you will always have some type of flow issue regardless of pain. I had a 8 mm and surgery was done swiftly. If you had a smaller herniation I would say it is possible but 7 is a lot.

The decreased flow will show up whether you are in pain during the Cine MRI or not. It's just like a regular MRI except they put one of those pulse monitors on your finger. During the MRI they will tell you to bear down like you are having a bowel movement or like you are stopping urine flow for a few minutes at a time. Bearing down makes the symptoms of Chiari worse I think because the strain causes the herniation to go a little lower or deeper but I'm not sure. Cerebral Spinal Fluid Flow pulses with your heart beat. It pushes it upward and washes over your brain and then comes back down and starts all over with every beat. When they show you the results you will clearly see the spinal fluid travel up in white and stop or slow. I had one done several months ago and because of post op scar tissue mine stopped at C2. It was very clear.

I have a 10MM CM and just had a CSF MRI last week and my doctor's office called to tell me that my spinal fluid was "flowing freely" and I have NO blockage. I was shocked since I have syrinx, but that's what they told me...? I also was not given any "straining" type of instructions during my MRI. Strange how the same MRI can be so different for people! I have heard that some people are given contrast during this MRI and some aren't. I wonder why the differences?!

Pain medication will not change your CINE MRI. I am so sorry you are in pain, I also have pain 24/7.

Thanks everyone. It’s never been this episodic or excruciating before. And its lasted since Monday. Can’t bend over, cough, blow my nose, lift. They’ve never brought them on so severely and now they’re not stopping. I’m so lost. But I do have another NS appt on may 2.

Last night I was at Barnes in downtown st Louis. They gave me morphine, then benadryl + Dilaudid+ Regan, then gave me a whopper script for percocet and ibuprofen and sent me home. My BP was from 170/124-194/1?? The whole time I was there and even right before they released me. They said there was no reason to keep me bc there’s nothing they can do unless I end up back there several times… if only they could see these attacks when they peak. They’re so scary.They finally acknowledged the Chiari-malformation. That is somewhat a relief. And they agree that I need to have the additional mri’s that I’ve been begging for.

Again, thanks for ur kind words everyone. I’m still having attacks today.

Kathleen