Muscle Relaxants Post-Op--How long?

I am almost four weeks post-op. Not surprisingly, I'm still on muscle relaxants (Valium) three times a day and an anti-inflammatory (Nabumetone) twice a day. I am told to try to gradually wean myself, but that it will be weeks. Until I can get by with Valium only once a day, at night, I won't be allowed to drive. Of course, school starts for the kids in just about four more weeks, and I'm already a bit concerned that I might have a hard time getting the meds down that quickly. Maybe yes, maybe no--I just don't know. School means back to driving about 85 miles daily, so it would be a BIG deal if I couldn't do this.

It would help me if others would say how long they needed the muscle relaxants post-op, maybe what they were taking, maybe if there was any quick drop in the needs for meds at some point.

What I've found is that when I cut back my pills to only four a day, not five, after two days my headaches were back and bad. They feel like post-op tension, not Chiari (mostly), but it's been three days back at my five-a-day dose, and I'm still getting little bursts of pain. I'm afraid that cutting back will set me back, and tank my ability to get back to my chauffeuring job.

Just trying to do a reality check. What meds, how much, how long?

I choose not to take any muscle relaxants or narcotics once released from the hospital, just went off cold turkey. The reason is.. if I don't feel any pain then I do too much. I find these meds will shorten the healing process for me. Maybe you're doing too much and that's why you have pain when cutting the pills. Your muscles are weak from surgery and its good to slowly get them back in shape, but pain is a sign that you need to slow down. If I were you I'd cut the meds and take it easier. I can imagine with kids you're probably doing more than you should.

I sort of tried that. I was only taking a bit of Tylenol for the first week, because I was pretty loose and felt pretty good. Then the pain came roaring back. Tylenol round the clock, wishing for more doses, didn't touch the pain so had to take the narcotics. When I talked to the NS office, they explained it was post-op pain, and that since it was caused by muscle tension, I needed to treat it that way, rather than just doping myself up. I know in this community understand pain, but taking a simple step could jar my head so much that I couldn't move any further because of the pain. With the muscle relaxants, I am much better off! For a few days, I got by with no Tylenol at all, and even woke up headache-free twice!

On the other hand, you are probably right. Doing too much is certainly going to make it worse. The kids are teens, so pretty darn self-sufficient, but I'm probably not taking it as easy as I could. Ah well. It is a VERY good reminder. Thank you!

adria said:

I choose not to take any muscle relaxants or narcotics once released from the hospital, just went off cold turkey. The reason is.. if I don't feel any pain then I do too much. I find these meds will shorten the healing process for me. Maybe you're doing too much and that's why you have pain when cutting the pills. Your muscles are weak from surgery and its good to slowly get them back in shape, but pain is a sign that you need to slow down. If I were you I'd cut the meds and take it easier. I can imagine with kids you're probably doing more than you should.

I want to mention I replaced the meds with ice. Iced my neck and shoulders plus ice directly on the incision several times each day. At night I slept with an ice pack. This really helped alot with muscle tension and pain.

Every Chiarian has different symptoms pre and post surgical. I can't go off muscle relaxants or pain medication. I have a friend that runs Marathons and has become an organic gardener. He can no longer drive to DC. He lost sight in one eye from a brain bleed & can't work as an Engineer. He doesn't have any pain though. He doesn't take any medication at all. I wish I could give you concrete answers to your questions. I am so sorry. Is it possible for you to take a different muscle relaxer & work?

I am six weeks post op today and still take muscle relaxers,three times,a day. I am off valium, it made me have crazy dreams. I am pretty much in the same boat you are. I am taking soma and it helps with the spasms…everyone is different. My doc told me it would be a couple of months till the spams stopped.