Is there anyone that didn't vomit from the surgery and post op?

My worst fear in the entire world is vomiting. I'm literally deathly afraid of it and haven't thrown up for 10 years. Even times when I was close to vomiting my throat had trouble allowing it to happen. I'm just curious if there is hope at all for me in not vomiting from the surgery and post-op recovery? Is it the general anesthesia that causes the vomiting? the pain meds? or the procedure itself? If its the pain meds then I would rather be in agony for a few weeks than barfing. I was already nervous enough about needing surgery but after reading these horrific stories of repeated vomiting after the surgery i'm in constant panic attack mode i literally want to die thinking about it and can barely sleep anymore, not that i could before. I've avoided ALL drugs and alcohol in my life to avoid any chance of vomiting and am an extreme germaphobe. If theres no chance that I can get through this without vomiting I'd like to know so I can possibly seek therapeutic help for it prior to surgery so I'm not as big a of a mess. I did have a bilateral mastectomy in 2010 -- hour and a half procedure -- they gave me fentanyl for pain meds. I was slightly nauseous from it, but never really felt like I was going to vomit from it and never did. Appreciate any information regarding the issue and I wish everyone the best. Thank you.

Hi ....

You sound way too much like me!! I would rather give birth with no doctor there and no drugs than puke!!!! I know from personal experience...had Julia without a doc...no drugs.....vomiting is my big fear as well..I could never be bulimic.

I would tell you to MAKE DARN SURE...You tell the staff at the hospital and your doc what has worked for you in the past....tell him x3!!!!

I got sick to my stomach after decompression..they gave me Reglan ...thankfully I never threw up...but gagged...dry heaved..which is almost as bad as vomiting, for me.

When you are in pre op you will see the anestesiologist.(sp) be sure to tell him/her...that way they can order it and give it pre op...at least that is how it work in the hospital I went to...I told anyone...maybe even the cleaning lady...when I was the least bit nauseas.(sp)...

I say tell NS b4 hand...b/c this way it SHOULD be in your chart....then tell the nurse in pre op...ect...hell...tell em all..I would rather you be safe than sorry, ya know.

How are you doing now after your breast cancer surgery??

Keep us posted.

Peace,

Lori

I didn't vomit with my CM Decompression surgery. Tell your anesthesiologist you are concerned about vomitting and they will give you medicine in your IV to keep you from being queasy. Besides your neck and head will be so swollen they won't want you to vomit. You won't be able to sit up at first or move, while you are in ICU. You may want to ask for a mouth swab or ice chips. Your mouth and throat will be very dry. I had to take pills with pudding for about a week because of the swelling, but I had my neck rebuilt also.

Hope this helps & please ask us anything,

Tracy Z.

I didn't vomit after my CM Decompression surgery either! I did make sure that my physician knew that I was concerned about this. Good luck!

Thank you all for your input :) gives me some hope.

Thank you! I'm glad to hear this from someone else who doesn't like vomiting! Do you know what pain meds they gave you?? Also, I didn't have breast cancer, it was an elective surgery (transgender), but it does run in my family so I've significantly reduced that risk!

lori said:

Hi ....

You sound way too much like me!! I would rather give birth with no doctor there and no drugs than puke!!!! I know from personal experience...had Julia without a doc...no drugs.....vomiting is my big fear as well..I could never be bulimic.

I would tell you to MAKE DARN SURE...You tell the staff at the hospital and your doc what has worked for you in the past....tell him x3!!!!

I got sick to my stomach after decompression..they gave me Reglan ...thankfully I never threw up...but gagged...dry heaved..which is almost as bad as vomiting, for me.

When you are in pre op you will see the anestesiologist.(sp) be sure to tell him/her...that way they can order it and give it pre op...at least that is how it work in the hospital I went to...I told anyone...maybe even the cleaning lady...when I was the least bit nauseas.(sp)...

I say tell NS b4 hand...b/c this way it SHOULD be in your chart....then tell the nurse in pre op...ect...hell...tell em all..I would rather you be safe than sorry, ya know.

How are you doing now after your breast cancer surgery??

Keep us posted.

Peace,

Lori

Hi you....

Congrats on your courage and strength to go through the surgeries for transgender..I admire you...big time!!!!

In the pre op...Fentyal IV....post op..morphine pump..Reglan IV for nausea.....If I had to doit again ...I would say NO to the pump and go straight to the Fentyal(sp)..that even comes in a patch...my mom used that for chronic back pain for a few mths b4 she died in Dec...Let me tell you..that worked the best for even an older gal....she was not loopy on it and she was on a hefty dose....50mg patch...they start out at 12.5mg.

Also....if you get the LEAST bit nauseas....push that button for the nurse...keep pushing it/as they don't come too fast...hopefully that is b/c they are busy and not at the desk browsing EBAY!!!! I once saw a nurse on EBAY while my friend was literally 1/2 dead in the room right across from this nurse...I told Jean , my friend....:OH, Screw it, just puke on the floor here..I'll hold your hair...nursie poo will just have to clean it up!!"...Our other friend went out and blasted this nurse instead!! A few choice words were used!!...This was at a big hospital in Boston yrs ago..we still laugh about EBAY GIRL!!!

Not to worry....I think most hospital now took out internet access at the nursing stations!!!!

I didn't vomit after surgery. I was given anti-nausea med through my IV and they put a patch behind my ear.

Good luck!

Diana

Everyone is different. Just make sure you get meds from your anesthesiologist and make sure you let them know beforehand. I too received Reglan & Zofran. Zofran worked the best for me. Really takes that feeling away. Unlike some of our friends here, I did get sick and still continue to have nausea often. Guess my head is still getting used to the new CSF flow. Good luck!

I did not vomit after surgery. i let them know before they put me to sleep that i tend to throw up so they gave me something to prevent it. just ask pre-op. goox luck