I need some recommendations please

Hi,

Chiari and I have had a long time standing relationship. I was diagnosed and had the decompression back in 1993 and have recovered very well. I have two children and my son now has Chiari. I had a MRI done last week to see if there was any progression in the past 5 years and there has been. I need recommendations for pediatric neurosurgeons. I live in Nashville, Tennessee and I will drive to a doctor if needed. Thank you so much and I am so grateful for this place to gather knowledge and support,

Hilary Blake

There is a list of MDs who have expressed interest in Chiari under the Chiari Info for members tab(near the top of this page).

For a pediatric neurosurgeon, you ideally also want someone who is board certified in pediatric neurosurgery(which is in addition to an adult neurosurgery board certification). That list can be found at www.abpns.org .

You also want to decide if you should start with a neurosurgeon or a neurologist. In general, neurosurgeons know more about Chiari but also have a bias toward surgery(it is what we do). Therefore, in my practice, I will only see symptomatic Chiari children after they have failed medical management with a neurologist.