Hiccups while sleeping?

I have a weird question. Have any of you ever had hiccups while you were sleeping? I did last night. My husband told me about it. He said he was very worried, and wondered whether he should have woken me up. I remember having dreams about hiccuping too! I tried to look it up online, and there really wasn't much info about it. I did read that it could be caused by brain stem damage, neurological issues. Hiccups are a form of myoclonus. I do have myoclonus jerks in my body everyday. I'm not sure whether this is a new symptom or something I should be concerned about? Any ideas?

My son has hiccups all the time! More so now since his surgery. He also has Restless Leg Syndrome and is taking medicine for it.

I have hiccups at least 2xs a day. Sometimes it is on and off all day. They can be so hard to get rid of and it gets so aggravating! I have woke up at night with hiccups but my husband has never said I hiccupped while I was asleep.

Thank you for writing, Sparky! Do you have sleep apnea by any chance? From what I have been reading, it may be a cause. So, I'm curious. Let me know when you can! Thanks!

Yup, I get em too. Sometimes they wake me up and getting them during the day is a regular occurrence. For me, getting a drink quickly, helps. I think that most of the time they are gone after one or two gulps, although I almost always choke when getting a drink or even eating, but that's another story. I have to agree with the reply below when they say " tell your doctor" .

ZipAnt, did you tell your doctor? What did they say was the reason?

Yes, I also read about the sleep apnea this morning when I was doing research on it. I haven't had a sleep study done yet. I'm waiting until we move back to Texas in August to get one done. I was also thinking in my case though, some of it could be caused from my gastric bypass surgery. One medical report I read said that if you have had stomach surgery it can cause frequent hiccups.

kmelodya said:

Thank you for writing, Sparky! Do you have sleep apnea by any chance? From what I have been reading, it may be a cause. So, I'm curious. Let me know when you can! Thanks!