Headache immediately after surgery

I was talking to my daughters friend about his decompression surgery. He said immediately after surgery, he had the most terrible headaches to the point of not being able to breathe.
I was wondering if any of you experienced the same headache while in the hospital.

I had my surgery done on Monday came home from hosp on Thursday

I agree with our friend the HA’s right after surgery were bad, I also had nome vomiting issues doing off of the anesthesia which was really tough. Just thing that after you all those neck muscles cut I started to violently heave and vomit all while being just barely conscious.

At this point my pain is mostly from the incision- which is pretty intense at times. We need to realize this is a very serious surgery, they have to cut away a lot of tissue to get to the area they work on.

I can honest say that I have felt a little better each day for the las 3 days,

Well first off, I hope everything goes well for you. My daughters friend really scared her with the headache thing. His father tolld us the his heart moniter actually went off because his son would hold his breath thru the pain. Scary

Kenny Who-dat Flaming said:

I agree with our friend the HA’s right after surgery were bad, I also had nome vomiting issues doing off of the anesthesia which was really tough. Just thing that after you all those neck muscles cut I started to violently heave and vomit all while being just barely conscious.

At this point my pain is mostly from the incision- which is pretty intense at times. We need to realize this is a very serious surgery, they have to cut away a lot of tissue to get to the area they work on.

Yes, that’s strange, I had the worse headache which lasted several days. I also had the vomitting problem, which kept me in the hospital a day longer. I had some not so bad headaches over the next 2 weeks. I did not have too much trouble with the incision pain, but had quite a bit of neck pain. I had my surgery September 21st and I am doing great. Only pain left is if I bend my head too much. All in all, it was certainly worth it. For me, this surgery had to be done first, before I can have the decompression surgery for trigeminal neuralgia. I hope to have this in about 3 months, wish me luck. Love, Irish

my daughter had her 2nd decompression on sept 27th. she did complain of headaches at the hospital.to the point where she was vomiting.she said they were worst than her “chiari headaches” which she lived with daily.but the nurses pumped her full of dalauded(spelling).it eased the pain, and after about 2 days she was feeling better.i cried along with her,as i could see the pain she was in.i even doubted if i made the right decision to go a head with the surgery.but she is a month post op, and has only had 2 headaches at home.and they are not even severe.she has lortab 5/500, but ibuprophen works for them.the surgery is very painful, but in order to get better,she will need to be fixed.im so glad i had her surgery now.its a hard decision,but im sure if she is panicking over the fear of the surgery,her doctor will call in a nerve pill.and valium helped my girl alot,with pain and muscle spasms and to calm her down.hope this helps

Hi....

Yes, right after surgery I had an awful H/A....however, my pain was managed well...It is important to let the nurses and doctors in the recover room know just how bad it is..before they send you up to the ICU..usually one stays in the ICU just overnight.

Amanda brought up a good point..I had forgotten about the Valuim....it helps a lot..it acts as a muscle relaxer as well as a sedative.

Hi Kenny and Irish...So happy you guys are doing so well....keep us posted on how you are doing.

My friend had a lot of pain post-surgery. Because they were messing around with various meds to try to get it under control, they accidentally set off a reaction that caused some breathing problems. She said she had a lot of pain post-surgery, but that it was a little different from what she felt pre-surgery. I know this probably isn’t helpful, but it is what I know from my friend. I know that it also varies a LOT from person to person!

Kenny,

Did your surgery involve the opening of the dura?

I am trying to decide if I should opt for surgery with or without opening the dura.

Kenny Who-dat Flaming said:

I agree with our friend the HA's right after surgery were bad, I also had nome vomiting issues doing off of the anesthesia which was really tough. Just thing that after you all those neck muscles cut I started to violently heave and vomit all while being just barely conscious.

Katrina

My surgery DID involve opening the Dura as well as shaving the C1. In my opinion i would do it if my NS said it was necessary. The first 4 days were very rough, but i'm feeling better every day, I'm just taking it slow and easy and not pushing myself too far or too fast.

Katrina S. said:

Kenny,

Did your surgery involve the opening of the dura?

I am trying to decide if I should opt for surgery with or without opening the dura.

i had no headache, just neck pain,

but i was on a morphine pump for a couple of days, but headaches were never my issue,

i think you have to way up the pros and cons'

ok after surgery yip its going to hurt but everyday it gets easier,

the long term overrides it, as the weeks go by you wonder how you even manged life without surgery,

i also had C1 shaved, and duraplasty from my neck to cover the brain, i think thats why i was sore, felt more like i had have a fusion done,