Having surgery tomorrow - questions

So I know it doesn't really make a difference now, since my surgery is 25 hours away (not that I'm counting) but I know that this surgery is not a "cure" for my symptoms. My doctor wouldn't really say if the surgery would help a lot of the symptoms I'm having, and the ones that are my major ones (fatigue, memory loss/brain fog, pain) she can't legally say comes from the chiari so she won't say whether or not the surgery will help. My concerns are...I've been symptomatic for two years, and since it seems like every day my symptoms get worse, I'm starting to get to the point that I can't even get out of bed anymore. I know y'all can't tell me if this surgery is going to lessen my symptoms, but with people's experiences here, have y'all had successful surgeries that have made your symptoms at least more tolerable and let you live at least some of a life? If you didn't, were there other reasons your symptoms didn't get better? I'm only 19 and feel like I'm going nowhere, and there's so much conflicting information on this surgery about whether or not symptoms go away/get better/stay the same/get worse. Anyone's experiences with how their symptoms changed after surgery would be amazingly helpful :)

My experience is that my symptoms of vertigo, brain fog, double vision, fatique, hoarse voice, neck and hip pain all went away after surgery. I am almost 10 months post op. I have headaches but nothing I can't handle. I do feel as though I have my life back.

Prayers for a successful surgery and smooth recovery.

Diana

I just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow. I will say a prayer for you. When you're feeling better let us know how you are doing. ..........Wendy

I am here for you girl... Let your mom know to message me when surgery is over and I will update everyone. My thoughts are with you tomorrow. We will get through this together :-) I am following on Thursday :-)

Thank y'all :) I honestly just hope the fatigue and memory loss aren't as bad afterwards, if they are at a level I can still function with I don't care about everything else, I can handle it. But no use worrying over it now, so here goes nothing!

I hope & pray you have a positive surgery & recovery. Most people do develop symptoms post surgical. Please do not focus on that. I have been told many times that visualization helps. Just run through surgery in your mind & see it as a positive step toward good health.

Tracy Z.

Hello all... talked to Bmtiz92 for a few today. They ended up having to push her surgery... She went home and ended up resting after everything today and I am sure will post more soon. You are in my thoughts girl.

Like Mlubbers said, my surgery got bumped. A man had to have an emergency craniotomy for an aneurism and I wouldn't have been able to go to surgery until 4, and they didn't want to start a long surgery that late. Now I have to wait until the 20th, and have to be there at like 5:30 (which is insanity, btw), but at least with an early surgery I might not get bumped. On top of it, I had a migraine, and by the time they let me take something for it nothing was touching it....2 Maxalt, tylenol, and some dramamine later, I was in 4 hour drug haze. Now I have to figure out what to do for 2 weeks...

Take this time to prepare yourself for after surgery. Make sure you have loose fitting clothing to wear, meals prepared and froze so it is easier for when you get home. Being that you're only 19 you may still live at home. Let your parents help you. Dont try to do to much to fast.

Unfortunately I was already prepared, I've done just about everything I could do to get ready and now I have two weeks with absolutely nothing to do. We even took a mini-vacation to take my mind off of everything so that's out of the question as well. I need to start knitting...or marathon sleeping...lol