Has anyone post op tried trigger point injections or botox?

I would say I am definitely in that 20% that surgery did nothing for but hopefully prevent symptoms of getting worse later. I wake up every day with pressure headaches and still get full blown, put me in bed for a day or 2 migraines, like clock work every 10-14 days. The longest I have been without a migraine is 16 days. I see a new neuro next week and another one I had seen that I didn't like had suggested trigger point injections or even botox. From what I have read online those could also go either way.. but I am to the point I will try just about anything once.

The migraine last week was 2 days off work, I don't have but a few days of FMLA and minimal PTO that I am trying to save for Christmas break. My doctor did call in Sprix, the toradol nose spray because some times the injections do help.. but most of the time they dont. I only get relief from vicidin and I have been weaning myself down on that. From 3 a day before surgery (10/500) and then I was up to 4 to 6 after surgery and now I am down to 2 a day. I would love to be off of them or only take them on really bad days but it is so hard when I wake up not able to move and have this headache until early afternoon.

Of course none of the preventatives or abortive meds work at all. If toradol doesn't help when I have to go to immediate care they give me nubain and that stuff knocks me out and still puts me out of work the next day because it really hits me hard.. but it does get rid of the pain.

Some days I get so depressed wondering if I will ever live a day pain free again. It is so depressing when my 10 year old says "mommy why do you no feel good so much" Both my kids just *know* those days and when I am bed with a migraine, or better yet at Great Wolf Lodge with 4 boys for my sons birthday.. they get depressed because they know that we won't be doing much, and of course my oldest is the sensitive one and says "i dont like to see you cry" Yes I am thankful to have a great husband and step dad that takes care of them and plays with them, but ya know its not the same.

If only they understand how much pain mommy was in through all their own medical stuff as babies.. 11 surgeries between both of them. If only my oldest knew how much it breaks my heart he struggles so much in school. He tries so hard, just like his mommy :)

I think I am just having a depressing day... I am trying not to get my hopes up too high with the new neurologist but I am also trying to have some faith in her too that maybe just maybe there is something out there that can help me.. that can help all of us.

SW,

I’m truly sorry this going down like this. We may have been through this already, but have you looked into EDS and POTS? At 4 mos post op my headache came back with a vengeance. My surgeon would not help me with it but he did suggest I wear a cervical collar to immobilize my neck. It worked! Now, as long as I wear it during the day my headache is between a 0 and a 3. Are you hypermobile? Also, what is your blood pressure and heart rate like? POTS causes headaches too.

Can you tell if your headache is more brain/nerves or muscle tension. Try OTC magnesium, after a couple of days I can make a HUGE difference with head pain. It also helps with nerve function too. I don’t think the injections will hurt to try, see what happens.

I’m glad you have a supportive husband through this. We’re here for you too. I can understand why your getting depressed, being in pain makes it soo difficult to stay positive. Just keep hanging in there. Keep looking for solutions- your doing the right thing. It’s going to get better this is just a long journey.

Jenn

I have read on EDS and POTS, I mean I fit some of them but when I think about what I read on here posted by others that have those I don't feel I "fit it" but I am also not a doctor lol And honestly did not expect my MRI to come back with Chiari even though my son had it and decompressed at 13 months old.. Hell I was expecting the worse like a brain tumor or something lol I can be a little naive some times, so I will read up on those again too.

As for hypermobile? I would have to read the medical definition of it again. I am very flexible yes, I can still do the splits at 32 haha Ok seriously, I can also put my legs behind my head, I have "double jointed" areas like my thumb on my left hand, and my shoulder blades. I can make my shoulder blades stick out of my back. Thought it was awesome as a kid because I would get on all fours like a cat and make them pop up lol And I can do some weird things with my fingers.. but I don't have like the elasticy skin, I do have very soft soft, but nothing unusual I don't think.

Blood pressure and heart rate are always normal at my appointments, I am a standard 117/80 or around there. Heart rate is not an issue but I do notice when I am feeling bad or tired if I stand up too fast I get tunnel vision for a few seconds and feel light headed but it goes away fast.

I always know the day before I get a severe migraine. One eye will be completely bloodshot the night before, and I get huge muscle knots in my neck, shoulders, and back. Sore to the touch and some times my husband can visually see a difference as it is usually just one side. Then I get the pressure feeling in the back of my head, and when I wake up usually at 3 or 4am it is above my eye that was bloodshot and radiates behind my ear, down my neck and shoulder.

I have tried magnesium, I have tried vitamin B12's, neither worked even after taking them for weeks.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I hope I get some answers next week!

jcdemar said:

SW,

I'm truly sorry this going down like this. We may have been through this already, but have you looked into EDS and POTS? At 4 mos post op my headache came back with a vengeance. My surgeon would not help me with it but he did suggest I wear a cervical collar to immobilize my neck. It worked! Now, as long as I wear it during the day my headache is between a 0 and a 3. Are you hypermobile? Also, what is your blood pressure and heart rate like? POTS causes headaches too.

Can you tell if your headache is more brain/nerves or muscle tension. Try OTC magnesium, after a couple of days I can make a HUGE difference with head pain. It also helps with nerve function too. I don't think the injections will hurt to try, see what happens.

I'm glad you have a supportive husband through this. We're here for you too. I can understand why your getting depressed, being in pain makes it soo difficult to stay positive. Just keep hanging in there. Keep looking for solutions- your doing the right thing. It's going to get better this is just a long journey.

Jenn