Hard time swallowing

I know that one of the symptoms of Chiari is hard time swallowing. It does not happen to me very often but when it does it scares me so bad. So my question is what do you do to calm yourself down when this happen? It take everything in me to not freak out especially when my daughters around. It happens more often when I am swallowing my own saliva. I try to just breath but its so hard to do sometimes because I fell like I am choking.

Hello Dannieray! Abby and Emmaline gave great advice and I just want to let you know I also have the swallowing issue it is scary when it happens. I usually choke on my saliva also jot so much when I’m drinking something or eating. I’ll be watching a movie or having a conversation and choke on my saliva. A few times I was talking to my eight year old and she started laughing because she thought I was playing around with her but I was really choking. I wasn’t drinking anything so I could see how it could of looked strange. When it happens remember that it will pass and you will make it through. It catches us off guard I think that’s the scariest thing. Hang in there these symptoms are strange I know. I also have issues swallowing in general I feel like I have to concentrate and there’s a constant lump in my throat. My throat feels sore a lot too it is annoying. Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing!

Hey DannieRae. I've also had some issues with swallowing myself lately, usually when I'm trying to take my meds. For me, it seems like my brain doesn't want to send the signal to swallow, so I have to really concentrate at times. I've also had times where, when I swallow liquids, it feels like I'm almost inhaling some of what I'm drinking. At those times, I just take a few seconds or so to make sure I'm okay and I try to be a little more careful. I get that lump in the throat feeling sometimes too.