Good, low-impact excersize to recommend?

Hello all,

I had my decompression surgery in June and despite some complications at the time, I’m recovering well and I fe like the surgery cured a lot of my symptoms.

The whole experience has got me taking my health in general a lot more seriously and I’d like to try picking up some excersize now that I’m back at work and returning to a sort of ‘normal’ life.

Can anyone recommend any effective, low-impact excersize that has worked for them? I still get some Chiari headaches & neck stiffness so I don’t exactly want to be running on a treadmill for an hour but all other suggestions welcome!

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: Walking suits me down to the ground so I’m happy to get into that more. It’s just finding the balance I suppose between moving on and not making things worse!

You might try yoga- I try to do yoga because I have bad knees and cannot have any impact or extended movement of my knees without pain. Dustin enjoyed yoga when he was mobile, I need to find him some wheel chair yoga exercises so that he can join me every now and then. As long as you don’t use any positions that put uncomfortable pressure on your head like downward dog I think yoga would be a good addition to any exercise routine.

Thanks GardenFriend (cool name!) Annoyingly I actually have problems with my lower spine, so I’ve looked at Yoga before and kind of ruled that out because lying flat on my back can cause me different problems! Nothing is easy for us Chiarians is it?! I would love to get into yoga though.

Mary said:
Thanks GardenFriend (cool name!) Annoyingly I actually have problems with my lower spine, so I've looked at Yoga before and kind of ruled that out because lying flat on my back can cause me different problems! Nothing is easy for us Chiarians is it?! I would love to get into yoga though.
There are many upright positions in yoga as well, actually there are very few that call for laying down. I would recommend checking for a yoga studio in your area first (sadly I live in a rural area so no yoga studios), and if there are no studios get some dvds or the wii fit with yoga exercises and pick the exercises that are easiest on you. Twenty to thirty minutes is a good starting point for beginners to do yoga.