Getting into Shape: Need Exercise Suggestions

I've started going back to the gym for the first time since my diagnosis. I wanted to know about weight lifting and cardio. I used to be athletic in high school and college and I would like to get in good shape again. For about a year and a half I wasn't active at all. Part of it was the symptoms and how I was managing it, and the other part I'm pretty sure was just self pity. At present compared to a lot of cases/discussions that I have read I am very lucky with the way things have been going. I have not had surgery and have chosen to manage things holistically and with lifestyle changes until it becomes absolutely necessary to consider a procedure. I'm figuring losing a little weight couldn't hurt.

Anyway, does anyone else go to the gym on a regular basis that may have some tips on how not to aggravate/worsen the condition? I took Zumba 3 times last week and had no issues. On Sunday, feeling really daring, I took BodyPump which was a HUGE mistake. Even with modifying some of the exercises I was still on the sofa the remainder of the afternoon. I have to build up muscle but I'm having trouble finding a routine that works with the condition. Help? Advice?

HI BrandyPandy,

What does your doctor recommend? If you have a neuro/NS that would probably be the person you should seek advice from. They may advise you to avoid high-impact exercise and weight lifting. Weight lifting in particular could be dangerous for Chiarians, so seriously, get a medical opinion on this. Personally speaking I would avoid weightlifting and anything high impact. Please talk to your dr. though.

Good luck!

NHMom

Hi BrandyPandy,

If you are starting a new exercise program, talk with your doctor to determine what physical activity would be best for you. I try to do Yoga 3 times a week, but the pain doesn't always permit that. The slow stretching feels good.

Here are a few exercise tips from the Healing Moves Foundation:

http://healingmoves.net/httphealingmoves-netexercise/exercise-tips-for-chiari-patients/

I hope this info has helped a little. =)

SparkyID7