Gabapentin

I am encouraging everyone on here to ask you doctor about Gabapentin. It is to help with nerve damage. I was put on it last week. It has help with my headaches and the sharp pains I was having. I’m still having problems with dizziness and balance and some other symptoms. But snice taking this med is the first time in two years my headaches haven’t been unbearable. It may or may not help you but it is worth talking to your doctor about.

Had a good 6 mos run w/ this med. So good even thought about returning to work. Alas it's effects didn't last more than that even by raising dose & adding generic Lamictal. Currently on Lyrica, not as effective. Hope your run lasts longer than mine. The best med I've found for Headaches is a long acting stimulant like Dexedrine or Concerta. I'm fortunate in that prior to Chiari Dx I was given one, among many, for ADHD. Used to have migraine like ones (now know from Chiari)). Once started the ADD regimine; don't have anymore. If I'm unable to acquire these, then headaches retun.

Thank you so much for your reply. I sure hope I have a long run on these. But I will write down the names of the meds you said and look into those as well. I’m willing to try anything that will help.

you are very welcome

Gabapentin is Neurontin , a relatively old medication and usually the first one a Dr. prescribes. It works for many people with Neuropathy. I took it for four years & stopped & my pain wasn't worse without it than with it. I will warn you, It makes you gain weight. Everyone I know that has ever taken it has gained weight and usually a lot of weight, not just a few pounds. When I stopped taking it I lost most of the weight I gained, but I still have 40 lbs to go. I would never take that again, because it didn't work. If it had worked I wouldn't have cared about the weight gain.

I have taking a lot of meds that work great for a few months then stop. I’m really hoping this one is different. The pharmacist told me it could cause wait gain. Im willing to weight 300 lbs if it helps. Lol. But it will suck of its for nothing. Thank you for your feedback. Im gonna start watching what I eat so it don’t catch up to me.

The problem isn't what you eat. This medication is a Central Nervous System medication & it slows down your nervous system & affects your metabolism. I really hope it works for you though, I honestly do.

@Abby have you noticed any of the side effects? I sometimes get real jittery and other times get sleepy. have you noticed it getting less effective or the weight gain like the other ladies?

@TracyZ thank you!! I hope it works for me too. My fingers are crossed!

@ Abby, I’ve taking the Topamax as well. I took it for several months, they raised the dose but it seemed to stop working for me.