Frustrated! :(

Met with pediatrician this morning because pain in head has been increasing. She did a neurological exam and I failed the balance test and strength test. She also noticed pressure when she checked my eyes. Because I failed the neuro exam, she sent me to get an mri immediately. So I got the mri and the results came back clear which is good but also bad because my pain is worsening everyday. I definitely want to get a second opinion of my mri. Unfortunately, I don’t have a good neurologist/neurosurgeon. Does anyone have a good recommendation for someone in the chicago area who knows about chiari and would be able to help figure this out with me? I am missing school now because of how much pain I’m in so I am desperate to get some answers ASAP.

Hi Samantha,

These links are for NS recommendations in Chicago. If you need more you can ask your PCP or I can try & locate some.

http://www.chiarisupport.org/forum/topics/looking-for-a-doctor-in-illinois

http://www.chiarisupport.org/forum/topics/a-great-professor-and-neurosurgeon

Also we have two Members that are about your age that would be great for you to talk to Sydney & Hannah Elizabeth. I am sure they can help you talk about missing school & other issues. I am sure Coping with Chiari as a teenager is very difficult.

Tracy Z.

Thank you for the help! I am just very frustrated because I don’t know what’s going on but there is clearly something wrong because I am in so much pain constantly and I failed the neuro exam today. Has anyone had an mri and been told that everything looks okay but when shown to another doctor, Chiari was found? I just feel like I’m going crazy because I have all of this pain and everything but yet my mri looks normal. Is it worth it to get another opinion?

Sydney, thank you so much for taking the time to help! It really means a lot to me. (: I do have a few questions for you so I am going to message you!

How have you been? We visit the Chicago area. We have fam in Hoffman Est. God bless. Jozy