Face and left arm went numb yesterday

Good afternoon,

I have 3-4 mm ectopic cerebellar tonsils and a 6.8 cm thoracic syrinx as of an MRI report 1.5 years ago. Two years previous I had a 3.7 cm syrinx so I’m not sure if it is still growing but I’m going to assume so. The ectopic tonsils were not noted in the first MRI.

My head and neck pain is daily now along with double vision and a host of other problems which has led me to having another go at finding help from a knowledgeable NL or NS. My experience 1.5 years ago was maddening and I hate the pass around game that I seem to experience.

But I am worried that something is going on and I do not know whom to tell. On a car ride yesterday morning my head started getting worse and my nose, face, tongue, left arm and hand were all numb. I felt like I was in slow motion and realized that what everyone else in the car was saying was like another language.it passed after 5 minutes and the feeling came back after about 10. Then I felt exhausted with the headache for the rest of the day and still a little today. My left side feels tired like I’ve used it a bit more but other than that I feel “normal”.

This has happened two other times in my life. The first time was 20 years ago and I was so confused during the episode my ex took me to the er. I was given a lumbar puncture and told it was clear and I may have had a TIA with no explanation as to why a healthy 22 year old would have a TIA. And I had a week long spinal headache after the lumbar puncture!

The 2nd episode was 8 years ago and it was the same. Confusion, headache, numbness. But I did not want another lumbar puncture so I just waited it out and refused hospital. For better or worse I figured it was the same as the first.

Now that I understand what’s going on in my brain and spine and the fact that my headaches are daily at this point and recovery from the episode isn’t complete, I am concerned this isn’t going to get better but worse.

Has anyone else experienced TIAs and did you immediately go to the ER or explain it later to your doc?