Duraplasty recovery

ok im uncomfable on my right side of neck since surgery, (3.3weeks)

its not that painfull, its stiff when turn to the left,

im guessing that is where i had the fiber removed and put in to top im brain dropping more since the skull had been removed,

this seems to take longer to heal in my option,

as far as i know not every surgeon uses that technique,

did you get that done?

how long did it take to recover?

thanks joelene

Jolene,

I'm not sure I understand the procedure you are talking about. Can you explain it better? I would think that 3 weeks is still in the early stages of recovery though. I hope you feel better each day!

Love,

Carla

hi carla when the bone is removed from the back of the skull, a duraplasty is put in to stop the brain falling more into the spinal canal,

some of my symptoms are slowly coming back, but i know its early, im now 4wks,

im down in the dumps, but hey it comes with the territority,

joelene

i had that done, and my stiffness continued for about 6 weeks. I barely have stiffness now, and it’s been 10 weeks. I had a partial range of neck motion when my doc let me drive after 2 weeks, imagine that! They had me do isometric exercises, so I did those, walked and did normal activities except for those that I was told not to do. I think that by doing all of this helped immensely with my range of motion and stiffness.

Susan Murray said:

i had that done, and my stiffness continued for about 6 weeks. I barely have stiffness now, and it's been 10 weeks. I had a partial range of neck motion when my doc let me drive after 2 weeks, imagine that! They had me do isometric exercises, so I did those, walked and did normal activities except for those that I was told not to do. I think that by doing all of this helped immensely with my range of motion and stiffness.

thats amazing susan

scarey, you think just to be safe you would have 6wks wait due to C1 removal.

i have weak legs and need a walking stick for support, but not all the time,

i had a shower yesterday, was so tired i sat on the floor, then when i got up, i felt the world go black, i knew that i was about to fall, so i crouched, and then slowly got backup i felt it again but i was ok with that, it was more mild, then for the rest of the day i had pressure in my head, i worry now, that the fluid isnt moving around the bottom part of brain due to pressure starting agin, (thats why i had surgery), sometimes i cant breath proberly with it,

i worries me that i might need a second surgery,

any way how are you?

Jolene,

I still have some of those symptoms too and I had my surgery 3 years ago. No one has ever talked about doing a second surgery. It takes a while to get over this type of surgery. Be patient and hang in there. I think you will feel better with time. Are you going to have surgery for the cyst on your spine? I did not have a duraplasty. My surgeon just pulled the muscles in my neck back together over the decompression site. As you can imagine, I have a very stiff neck most of the time and have very little range of motion. I also had C1 & C2 removed and a fusion at C5 & C6. That is probably part of my problem, too! Take care, rest, be patient! Love you, girl!

Love,

Carla