Does anyone else have problems with sleep

Does anyone else have problems with sleep. Since my symptoms have gotten worse when i was diagnosed over a year and a half ago I have had problems with sleep off and on. sometimes it is due to so much pain shooting though my body and numbness and sometimes no matter now tired I am I just cant sleep.

Yes I have extreme problems with sleep. I am lucky to get 2 to 3 hours a night. I have tried most everything for it. Nothing seems to help. My dr seems to think that it has to do with a form of POTS and my body respond to pain by releasing adrenalin. The best thing I have found is propping myself up on the sofa and playing a mind numbing hand held game like solitaire. It’s not exciting and takes no real thought, it olso helps with hand eye coordination. On really bad nights like tonight I have to move around so I do get on the computer so I don’t get upset that I can’t sleep. The more I think about it the worse it is, so I try to not think at all and relax. I do use biofeedback most nights and that seems to help me better then meds. Usually the meds just upset my stomach then I’m still awake and nauseous (vicious cycle! For me so I can’t take meds).
I hope you find something that works for you.
Barb

I have sleep issues as well. 5 mg melatonin really helps me - I know it's not for everyone, though. I also sleep with a CPAP, which was hard to get used to but helps me sleep through the night, mostly. Waking up is hard, though, since this started. Several times a week I will try to wake up, fall back asleep, start dreaming and get irritated in my dream because I NEED to wake up!

Other things that help: no caffeine after 3 or 4 pm, no electronics (TV, computer, tablet) an hour before bed, have a "routine" so my body knows it's time for sleep after X, Y, and Z...

I hope you find answers!
Katrina W.

i take seroquel to help with my sleep problems. boy it helps me

It's just 5 mg (husband buys it at work). I do three weeks on, one week off, all doctor approved (and she's not unfamiliar with herbal/homeopathic remedies - she prefers them to prescribing another pill). I have problems falling asleep, not staying asleep, so I prefer melatonin to a prescription medication. As far as I've researched, 5 mg is the max dose and as long as you're not taking it constantly for years (3 on/1 off works for me) it shouldn't do any lasting harm. (Mine and my doctor's opinion only, everyone should ask their doctor if it would fit in with their lifestyle/med list!)

Beeba said:

I am going out on a limb and saying yes for most of us. Doula - please google dr oz about melatonin - that is a sleep regulator not a sleeping pill. From what I have heard you are taking 10 times the dose. Did I miss a .5 or is it really 5. He just did the show on this. Please look it up. I would only use it at .5 for jet lag and no longer than 2 weeks.

Emmaline,

I have never thought of taking Magnesium. I have been on muscle relaxants bor a while now but they can become additive and hurt my stomach. So i will look into that thanks.

Emmaline said:

Hi Cinderglo, and welcome!

Sleep disturbances are very common with Chiari patients. Different things work but you have to find what works for you. I had no problems sleeping prior to surgery, but after surgery it's a different issue. I wake up early and can't get back to sleep.

What has worked for me in the past is taking Magnesium supplements before bed. It helps my muscles and is a natural muscle relaxer. Meds that you are on could be the culprit, talk about that with your dr.

I think the less active we are during the day makes a difference. If we don't feel well, we may spend more time less active that day, but still expect to get the same quality of sleep. If your able to increase your activity during the day at all to get the circulation going, that may help.

Homeopathy, acupressure, massage, aromatherapy and herbs may help. Herbs would have to be checked with your med list though.

just looked that up is that a depression med but I am assuming can be prescribed for other things as well.

mitzi ward said:

i take seroquel to help with my sleep problems. boy it helps me

thanks everyone that does help I will mention it again to my dr. I really dont want to try anymore meds at this time but may look onto natural ways to help as some sugested.

I sleep in a recliner keeps my head up and my neck supported.