Disability after Chiari Surgery?

Hello. I’m wondering if there is anyone out there who has gone through this process. I am struggling and don’t know what to do anymore. I had surgery in June and recovered great, then in Ictobeber my symptoms have come back with a vengeance… and even though I have been diagnosed with Chiari and had the surgery, I am being treated as if it is a migraine and am now on an epilepsy medicine. I can’t deal with this and I am a single mom of a 6 and 8 year old.

Wow that sucks. I choose to not have the surgery due to outcomes such as yours. Goodluck.

The surgery didn’t cause me more problems, I recovered extremely quick and was perfect. I had a few days down time Max, 4 months of happy healthy, then I was back to where I started pre surgery. I can’t focus, I feel like I am losing my mind, I can’t think or talk straight, have no strength in my arms, no coordination, my head hurts so bad constantly with no relief. I keep missing work, messing up with money, and coming home hurting so bad that I can’t do for my kids like I should be able to. I can’t afford to not work, I don’t know anything about the disability process, just curious if anyone has been there.

What is the temporary disability? That the policy you had through work? I’m just scared of this whole process. Can I work when I can and still apply, or does the voidt the process if you are able to work att all? I am down to working 4 hours a day that doesn’t even come close to paying bills.

I did not use any disability at all, I just didn’t get paid when I was out. Then I moved to another state. I just started working for the state November 15th, I doubt that I qualify for any temporary disability. Who do I contact for help? I’m confused and scared.

Stephanie, if you can't do a 40 hour/week job because of a disability you should be eligible for SSDI (assuming you have the requisite time paid into Social Security). This is one area I would not hesitate to hire an attorney, use someone who exclusively handles Social Security claims. They do not get paid until you get disability from SS and they are paid from back benefits with a cap of 25% (max $6,000.00) no money out of your pocket. Because of the intermittent nature and lack of clear indications of disability (ie one person with 8mm herniation has no problems where the next person with 3mm is severely limited) you will want an attorney with experience to prepare your initial application and very common for an initial denial, so it will have to be appealed, if done properly, the original application date is retained, so if you ultimately get the SSDI benefit, it will date back to your initial filing date. That attorney can also answer your questions about continuing to do some work, etc.