Chest pain from chiari? any one else gets them?

for the past three days i have been experiencing horrible intense chest pain, gets worst if i swallow or breath too hard. I went to the er and they cant find a reason as to whats going on. That is starting to look like the norm routine every time i get sick, they scratch their heads and ask what would u like me to do? how the heck should I know. i have done a lot of research and chest pains are common in people with chiari. I hope its not another symptom to add to the list. Does anyone else get chest pains? every time it hits I also feel a horrible pressure in the middle of my upper back. Any feed back I would really appreciate because im seriously about to go right back to the er.

Shaylee, I have costochondritis. When it happens it feels like what i would imagine a massive heart attack would feel like and able to take only extremely tiny breaths- but mine only lasts for a few minutes. Also look into pleurisy. I’m glad you’ve been to the ER. Oh, I’m not trying to downplay your symptoms at all with this, but severe acid reflux can cause terrible chest pain also felt in the back. I hope you get relief soon.

Jenn

Yes, I have been experiencing this more and more frequently lately too. I have had a complete cardiac work up including having to wear a holster monitor for a week and a bubble echo study and nothing turned up. The only thing that reassures me somewhat is that my pains are always in different spots, I tell myself if it were cardiac chest pain I think I would feel it in the same place. Also, I don’t have any of the other symptoms of heart disease. I am sorry you are experiencing this, I find it very scary!

i will talk to my doctor about costochondritis. Jcdemar my pain only last a minute or two and goes away but keeps coming back. tiny breaths is all i can take when it hits if not the pain gets worst. I put this discussion because its a new symptom that came up out of nowhere. Thank you all so much for replying back to me. Its nice knowing im not alone.

the pain is always in dferent spots but always on my chest area. I just wish doctors in my area where more knowledgable on chiari and how to help me

COmama said:

Yes, I have been experiencing this more and more frequently lately too. I have had a complete cardiac work up including having to wear a holster monitor for a week and a bubble echo study and nothing turned up. The only thing that reassures me somewhat is that my pains are always in different spots, I tell myself if it were cardiac chest pain I think I would feel it in the same place. Also, I don't have any of the other symptoms of heart disease. I am sorry you are experiencing this, I find it very scary!

Btw, it’s nice to see you on again. I haven’t seen your picture up for a long time!

thanks a lot has happened in the past year but im back and im happy to be here

jcdemar said:

Btw, it's nice to see you on again. I haven't seen your picture up for a long time!

I was diagnosed in July of this year when I went into the ER with chest pains and stroke like symptoms. I had headaches, dizziness, RT eye wouldn't focus and chest pains. I spent 3 days in the hospital having tests run and they found the Chiari. I have paind in the center of my back radiating to the right shoulder blade and down the right side of my chest. The pain at times will take my breath.

Same issue for me but EKG showed irregular rhythm. I was told it was not caused by the heart. I guess the pressure on the hindbrain can cause irregular rhythm and some pain. The palpitations were horrible. I have since been put on Inderal and feel much better... it helps with the tingling, headaches and fatigue as well.

I would also ask for c-spine MRI if you haven't had one to rule out any related spine issues.

what has the doctors told you to deal or treat the chest pain?
Edwin Kelley said:

I was diagnosed in July of this year when I went into the ER with chest pains and stroke like symptoms. I had headaches, dizziness, RT eye wouldn't focus and chest pains. I spent 3 days in the hospital having tests run and they found the Chiari. I have paind in the center of my back radiating to the right shoulder blade and down the right side of my chest. The pain at times will take my breath.

Nothing at all, My first NS sent me to a neurologist for meds which didnt help at all. I have also have issues with palpatations but I too have had a complete cardiac work up and all is good. I am praying my decompression surgery Oct 15th will alleviate the symptoms.

Shaylee rolon said:

what has the doctors told you to deal or treat the chest pain?
Edwin Kelley said:

I was placed on low dose Inderal and it has almost stopped the palpitations. Do not take Inderal (propranolol) if you have Raynauds.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/raynauds-disease/DS00433

Here is a link with information about Raynauds...

Why not take propranolol with reynauds? I’ve got it and am taking it.

pebbles said:
I was placed on low dose Inderal and it has almost stopped the palpitations. Do not take Inderal (propranolol) if you have Raynauds.

If you read the warnings in the prescription it says not too. It can worsen the symptoms. I have Raynauds as well and take it but experience far more severe symptoms in the winter due to the Inderal. I am concerned with loss of toes due to cold climate here in the winter. I am pursuing an alternative medicine this week as we had a blizzard and my raynauds symptoms are worse all over again.

It may be simply related to stress. I had pains In shoulder blades so bad that it would creep through to my chest, always on the left side which scared me.