Applied to the Mayfield Chiari Center

Well guys, I got all of my information together and applied for an appointment at the Mayfield Chiari Center.

Mayfield actually diagnosed me (back when my symptoms were either much milder or I didn't know they were from Chiari). At that point they did not have the Chiari Center. I saw an NS who was very nice (and amazed that I was not in more pain with with my current herniation size/CSF blockage combo), but I noticed that he is not part of the Chiari Center now.

Here's hoping that Dr. Tew can help me out! My NL has run out of ideas and surgery is looking better and better.

PS. I noticed in reading all of the radiology reports I had to collect that my left tonsil consistently hangs lower than my right. Almost all of my nerve/muscular pain is on the left side. Interesting.

Good Luck Donna! I hope you hear back soon and get an appointment soon too.

I saw Dr. Tew yesterday and I know a lot of others on here have seen him or another NS at Mayfield

SomethingWitty,

What did you think of Dr. Tew? Is there anything I should know about him/the Chiari Center before I go in?

He is pretty straight forward, asks you questions, looks you over, talks about your symptoms etc. He was very nice, but also a little strange.. not in a bad way.. just in a weird way lol an example. he would ask me a question and I would answer, then he sat there staring at me for a moment and maybe asked another question for wrote down notes. For me that was strange.. but i think more because it makes me feel like i am being tested when really he is probably thinking/processing of what to ask next etc. His nurse was very sweet, all the staff I met was actually really nice. Not to mention I got there 30 minutes early, and called back 20 minutes early. They were on top of the schedule which for me is a huge bonus. I hate waiting hours past my appointment time. lol

If you put Dr. Tew in the search box of the forums you will see other posts about him too.

I had my surgery with Dr. Ringer at Mayfield. Everyone in the office is so nice. I haven't met Dr. Tew personally but I do know that Dr. Ringer had him review my MRI's before he decided to schedule me for surgery. I'm 4 mos. post-op and doing really well. I definitely recommend Mayfield! :)

I also went to Mayfield, but saw Dr. Zuccarello. I feel very lucky to live near Cincinnati and have this fabulous, knowledgeable group at hand. Good luck.

Thanks for all of the info, everyone! I talked to the intake nurse today to do my medical history and I now know that Dr. Tew will be my doctor. Now I just need to wait for him to review my MRIs and see where we go from here.

I, too, feel fortunate that I live so close to Mayfield. Interestingly enough, I moved here from Wisconsin just before I got diagnosed. Things happen for a reason...

That is great Donna! I love how fast they do things! I also did the intake on a Friday and then sent my MRI’s two weeks later because I already had them scheduled. They received my MRI cd and report on a Monday and I got a call on Friday to set the appointment with no other tests needed! Have you already sent in your MRI or do you live there? I am in Indy so it’s only an hour and a half for me (Southside of Indy) so the drive wasnt too bad. My appointment was about two weeks out from the day I got their call after him reviewing everything.

Wow dr Tew is busy. For you all that have had surgery at mayfield am I supposed to be getting a packet of info and instructions for my surgery? I got a packet about the study I’m participating in but no surgery one yet. I got the other one probably 2 weeks ago.

SomethingWitty,

I live in Cincinnati, so I'm dropping off my MRI discs on Monday. Mayfield already has my cine MRI on file, since they ordered it back when I was diagnosed a couple of years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they ask me to go get another one before I come in. With that timeline, I should know what the next step is by Friday! That is both fantastically soon and lightyears away.

Donna in cinccy (since there are two on here lol) that is awesome you are so close. They might want a new one done because Jeremy asked if mine were done within the last year but ya never know…

Donna in Indy, I talked to Sharon the surgery scheduler and she said once my insurance stuff is done she would call with dates and go over and send me all the information for surgery. Maybe since yours is in April they will wait until its closer to your date? She did tell me I should be able to get in for surgery this month which is what I am hoping for schedule wise for myself.

Ok maybe I should call them. I got my insurance and payment stuff taken care of a couple of weeks ago too. I am supposed to get a pre op exam from my pcp before surgery. I need to be scheduling that and I’m not sure what they want to have done for it.
Somethingwitty I’m glad you’re gonna be able to get yours done when you need to.

Once they scheduled my surgery they mailed a big envelope of info. They said my consult would work for a pre-op physical as long as surgery took place within a month. He did order some bloodwork. They have tons of info about the surgery and after care on their website!

UPDATE:

I turned in my MRI discs yesterday afternoon and got a call to schedule my appointment with Dr. Tew this afternoon. 24 hours - that was quick!

My appointment is on April 3rd. That seems both a reasonable wait for an important neurosurgeon and a long, LONG time away. I'm going to go nuts waiting for this appointment.

Hi Donna! It sounds like you and I are currently going through the same process at the same time. I also dropped my MRI off at Mayfield on Monday! lol (I only had an MRI to provide (no CINE.) They told me that my doctor would be Dr Zucarello. Hoping that I hear from them soon too! I heard that they get back in touch quickly, But 24 hours is crazy fast! Good for you! It's nice to know so quickly, but yeah...the waiting for the appointment is the hardest part!!! Hoping my phone will ring soon too. :)

That is good! It does seem far away but it will be here before you know it! My appointment was about 2 weeks after I got the call. But now I have been waiting a week to get a surgery date.. called yesterday to follow up and Sharon said she has all my info and would be calling me this morning.. but nothing yet. I just need to know because they know I need it to be within te next 3 weeks or i will have to wait 2 more months. Just have things to organize with work and kids and their appointments. so I am a little anxious but trying to be patient!