Another question for those that went to Mayfield.. I got a call today

The call I have been waiting for and was expecting more tests to be ordered or something as I have read a lot of people that went to Mayfield (specifically Dr. Tew) seemed that a sleep study or change in diet was suggested even before being seen. When I did the intake with Jeremy he said that is pretty common but that some times Dr. Tew wants to see you without ordering anything additional based on the MRI's sent in.

So I was expecting that, but instead it was that Dr. Tew reviewed my scans and wants to see me to discuss options/treatment. And I said, does that automatically mean he is suggesting surgery? And of course he said he doesn't know for sure but usually if he wants to see you then he feels he has enough information from your medical history and the MRI's that he wants you to come on in. Which I know he couldn't tell me everything and I am ok with that.

I go on the 20th in the afternoon to meet with him. I am curious for those of you that went there, did you also get an appointment right after him reviewing your information? When you saw him was it then that he suggested other things like the sleep study or change of diet? I am a nervous wreck but glad they got back to me so quickly too!

Just curious on your experience going there for your first appointment.

Thanks

Oops, I didn't see this earlier. After I sent my scans that I had here they wanted to see me. I had not had a cine here though so my first appointment with Dr. Tew I had to get the cine there a couple hours before my appointment to see him. At that appt. he told me my flow was just about completely blocked. He wanted me to get a sleep study and change my diet. My insurance didn't want to pay for a sleep study and i've have been only semi successful on the diet change. So, my last visit he said I need the surgery. My gag reflex is gone and my reflexes are wonky among other things. So my date for surgery is April 5th.

Thanks Donna! I am glad you got a surgery date!! I am talking with a 16 year old on Twitter that had surgery with him on Friday. She went home on Monday (she is in Kentucky) and she was doing pretty good but today her pain has been a lot worse. I don't think she is on this forum but she is a pretty amazing teenager! I really haven't read anything "bad" about Dr. Tew so I am hoping the appointment goes smooth.

I don't have any other tests setup, just the appointment with him, and Jeremy had said it would be to discuss surgery so I am wondering/curious if he will want to go ahead and do it. Makes me nervous though.. like its all happening so fast. But I kind of helped that along myself by making my own appointments and my PCP is awesome to order whatever MRI's I figured I would need.

Oh and she was only in the hospital from Friday to Monday!

Yep, my surgery is on Friday and they told me I'd be going home Sunday or Monday. I made my own appointments too. I just didn't want to waste a bunch of time and money seeing Dr.s that didn't really know enough to help. I think that 2 month period from my first appointment to the second was good. I haven't felt rushed into surgery. The surgeon I saw here just said You probably should have the surgery. If you decide to, call me within 30 days.

I do know that Dr. Tew is very knowledgeable about chiari. And has a lot of years practice doing these surgeries. And he does a lot of them. The surgeon here said she does about 4 a year. I think Dr. Tew probably does about 4 a week.

Let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow.

I have read some people staying 3 days and some for up to a week. The girl in Kentucky goes back tomorrow for a follow up on Wednesday. That is the only thing I wouldn't be thrilled about, I hate driving/riding and couldn't imagine going back 5 days after surgery, 2 days after being released for a checkup. But I guess that is part of going out of state. Its worth it though.

I will post an update when I am finished! I don't want to rush into surgery either, but with the way I have been feeling and missing work, and the all day migraine in bed on Sunday makes me think I would do it if he suggests it. My headaches and back pain are just getting worse and I can't afford to miss work, or miss out on stuff with my kids.

We will see though! Thanks for your input!

Hmm, they told me I would be back 10 days after surgery. I don't think I'd like going back a couple of days after going home either.

Sorry...just saw this. I had surgery with Dr. Ringer at Mayfield. He ordered a CINE before my original appointment but that was the only test. I had my surgery on the 15th of October. I was released on the 16th and stayed in a hotel for a couple of nights just to be safe since I live 5 hours away. My follow-up was on October 24. My parents drove me to that appointment. Then I had another appointment on the 9th of November.