Anyone know of a NS who treats Chiari in the Sacramento area?

About a year ago I started having pain in my shoulder. I went to a chiropractor who took X-rays and found that I have a couple of herniated discs in my neck. He started doing traction and adjustments and then I started having pain in my neck. Have had 2 cortisone shots but still in a lot of pain. Started having numbness on the left side of my body so doc sent me for brain MRI and to a neurologist. MRI showed a 4mm tonsillar ectopia and doc said I have Chiari level 1 but he didn’t seem to concerned about that and is treating me for migraines. I don’t have migraines. Just the neck pain that radiates up toward the back of my eyes. I’m looking for a doc anywhere in Northern California who treats Chiari. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am on the Peninsula.

I consulted with Dr. Tarun Arora of UCSF, based at Marin General Hospital. He was very well versed with Chiari. Dr. Steven Chu of Stanford did my evaluation, surgery and follow up. He is closer to home, and I felt it would be easier for my family to be right there. Both men, though not primarily focused on Chiari, were well informed and very helpful.

Also, as a side note, I believe that another of the fabulous surgeons at Stanford has connections to a group of NS in Reno, Nevada. Their clinic might be worth noting. Finally, my in-laws in Davis think very highly of the UCDavis Medical Center, though a quick perusal of their website didn't yield any good links for NS.

Best of luck to you as you start your journey. You'll find answers.

I have seen Dr. Boggen with the UC Davis medical group and Dr. Ciricillo with the Sutter Foundation. I don't love either, but I also don't hate either. I an trying to decide with whom I will have my decompression surgery. I have a surgery scheduled for 9/25 with Ciricillo but suddenly I am having mixed feeling about who is the right doctor for me. So I might cancel and schedule with the other. This probably isn't too helpful but at least gives you two names in the area to check out for yourself.

Thank you all for your responses. I had no idea the list of doctors existed - such a helpful link!!! So blessed to have this site and all of you as a resource as I begin this journey.

I had mine done in June by Dr Ciricillo in Sacramento at Sutter Memorial-all went well. Best wishes to you!

I had my decompression done 2 weeks ago by Dr. Ciricillo and would completely recommend him!!

I have my surgery scheduled with Dr. Steven Chang at Stanford for 9/23. So far every doctor and everything about Stanford has been amazing. I had a swallowing issue early one morning and Dr. Chang’s NP contacted me back personally with 20 minutes and then worked me in for an appointment on a day that is usually booked only for surgeries. I’ve been very impressed with them, I’ll post an update after surgery.

Dr. Chang was my doctor as well, and he was amazing. He is knowledgeable and thorough, and his staff is incredibly supportive. I live close by, so there were literally days when I would call in the morning with a concern, and be worked in later in the day. The nurse practitioners know their stuff, and were amazing at working through issues of proper post-op medications, so I could balance pain relief with my need to get off meds and start driving again.

I just checked my above post, and realized I wrote the wrong name! (Steve Chu is a physicist, not a surgeon. Steve Chang is the doctor. Sorry.) At any rate, Steven Chang is amazing.