Anyone else have issues getting pregnant after surgery?!

Good Morning All,

Just had a quick question for everyone. I had decompression surgery 2 years ago & since then, my husband & I decided to have or try to have another baby. Surgeon & neurologist gave me the ok & said if I felt up to it, then go for it!! Here's where the problem lies, we've been trying for a YEAR!! I did get pregnant once, this past October but had a miscarriage. I was wondering if anyone else had issues getting pregnant or am I just not getting the hint that I shouldn't have another baby...any input would be greatly appriciated!! Thanks everyone & have a great Friday!!!

First - I'm so sorry for your loss. Miscarriage SUCKS.

Second - are you having regular cycles? Mine are all out of whack right now and I don't know if it's Chiari related or stress related! Your body may still be working on healing from the surgery, etc. I don't know if you're "into" this kind of thing, but you could try acupuncture. There are studies that show it helps with secondary infertility. Also, start a log of your cycles if you haven't already - check your basal body temp every morning, etc. If you're not grossed out, check the consistency of your cervical mucus - the stickier it is, the better for your husbands little swimmers. :)

Sorry if that's all TMI... I have tried to research Chiari and pregnancy before (we don't have kids and want them eventually, but don't know if the Chiari will have an impact) but there's hardly any info out there.

Good luck!
Katrina W.

Thanks for the input Katrina. My husband & I actually talked about this last night. I'm going to make an appointment with my ob/gyn & have things checked out. If I can't have anymore children b/c of the surgery & chiari then that's fine, I just need to know for my own sanity. We aren't going to do any type of fertility treatment, I figure I have one beautiful healthy little girl I'm happy....when we start messing with all that I get super scared as to what's going to happen, or even how many I'm going to get. I know that may sound horrible of me & I may feel differently if we didn't already have a child. I just know that I'm driving myself crazy wondering/worrying & I know that that isn't making it any better :) I do greatly appreciate all of your input!! :)

My husband and I were going to start trying next month and that’s what made me get my last MRI (it had been a while) and showed my herniation was worse and I now have a syrinx. My NS told me that as long as I am off pain meds 1 month I can start trying. I told him he’s nuts and I’m going to let my body heal, but… I was wondering how pregnancies have gone post op. We also had a preconception appt with my OB who currently has a chiari pt. she even had to have surgery while pregnant and delivered via epidural just fine. I just pray and try and remember God’s bigger plan. I hope you get your baby soon!!

Hello,

I know it's been a few years since you first posted your initial post but I was wondering what the diagnosis was. Where you able to conceive or was that no longer an option? I ask because I was recently diagnosed. Slowly I'm starting to piece the puzzle together. I have miscarried a number of times and have had no luck carrying full term. I'm starting to wonder if Chiari has anything to do with it. Also I read that other people have crazy menstrual cycles and I fall under that category. I get my periods for 6 months straight then out of no where I stop getting them. They go away for about 8 months and they come back. I have also been experiencing gain weight. But I seem to be eating less. Does any of this sound familiar to any of you?

Have you been checked for polycystic ovaries and endometriosis?

LiliK said:

Hello,

I know it's been a few years since you first posted your initial post but I was wondering what the diagnosis was. Where you able to conceive or was that no longer an option? I ask because I was recently diagnosed. Slowly I'm starting to piece the puzzle together. I have miscarried a number of times and have had no luck carrying full term. I'm starting to wonder if Chiari has anything to do with it. Also I read that other people have crazy menstrual cycles and I fall under that category. I get my periods for 6 months straight then out of no where I stop getting them. They go away for about 8 months and they come back. I have also been experiencing gain weight. But I seem to be eating less. Does any of this sound familiar to any of you?

Yeah they have discarded all those possibilities. I have gotten so much testing done and my ovaries are in great shape. I have researched everything possible to that specific area.

Jules G said:

Have you been checked for polycystic ovaries and endometriosis?

LiliK said:

Hello,