Any advise for post op

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I should to do or get to prepare for post op. For context I’m a 41 year old female and it’s just me and my dogs at home.

You will need someone to help you! I was in an upper body brace 24/7 and could not bathe myself. It’s hard to get around. My mind was not clear for months. Pain meds also affect you and you won’t be able to drive. And you’ll need assistance with the dogs. Wishing you the very best!

My surgery was 8 years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday. I definitely had support. I wasn’t in a brace or anything, but maybe things have changed. I do know for the first week it wasn’t easy getting around the house. I definitely couldn’t drive. I hope you have help with the dogs cuz at first, feeding them alone will be difficult.

Hi. Everybody is different. I didnt have any support following surgery and I did ok. It wasnt any harder than before surgery and I managed for 2 and 1/2 years on my own before diagnosis and I was severely debilitated. I went back to work 3 weeks post-op. I could have gone back sooner because, like I said before, I was just as bad, if not worse, before surgery and I was working full time. Best wishes.

Is there anything you guys wish you’d had? Like a certain kind of pillow, a shower chair, anything like that?

Definitely will need someone for at least 2 weeks. Need help with dressing changes, cooking, everything. Someone to help with meds, driving. I did not have any brace, just stitches. I spent 6 days in hospital, but should have stayed little longer. Came home had mini stroke was glad hubby took 2 week off. Good luck be safe

It will be difficult to make meals for yourself. I would suggest making some single serve meals and freezing so you can heat and eat. Leaning down to feed the dogs will be difficult and possibly unsafe. You may not be very steady after surgery. Plus, the pain medications can make you lightheaded. If you have a fence and can let your dogs out on their own, you will be ok there. There is no way you could walk them. Getting up and down to let them out is good for you. Moving around the house is also good. I found I needed to sleep with my head elevated, so I had a wedge (triangle shaped) pillow like you would use to read in bed with. Then I had my pillow in front of that. Make sure you tell them you do not have support at home. Some doctors order physical therapy instead of just giving you the paper instructions. They should be able to arrange for home PT since you won’t be able to drive.I am a nurse. I didn’t go back to work for 8 weeks and still felt I wasn’t ready. My mother had her surgery much later and life and she did much better than I. My daughter had hers at 13 and didn’t handle the pain really great but by 8 weeks, she went back to school for half days for a week and was good after. It really is very individual just like all the Chiari symptoms. One more tip, my doctor gave me muscle relaxers after surgery. I do not know if this is every neurosurgeon’s practice, but the muscle spasms and tension in your neck can be the greatest source of your pain. Ask your doctor if it is his or her practice. I hope all goes well!