After surgery, when to go to ER? Major pain!

The hospital is almost a two hour drive for me, so curious as to when and if you had to go after surgery for any reason back to the hospital? I know I can call the on call doctor but really what can he do ya know? Is the incision ok? Yes… Is it red? No, is it leaking? Don’t think so…

Or tell me to take more of the drugs I am using sparingly since I have enough for a week and don’t go back for 2 weeks… Or if it bad enough to go to local ER which I have no idea what they would even do.

But let me put it this way, I am in horrible pain… Probably an 8-9. I know some of this is my fault because I was up ALL day yesterday. Didnt not rest my head or neck at all. Went to bed with what is usually a migraine sign for me of the pain above my eyes. Woke up at midnight and 3 back to sleep at 5 and up at 9:30.

My head feels like it is simply wanting to explode. It isn’t a throbbing pain, my eye isn’t really throbbing any more but it feels “full” like info turn the other way it will just explode lol but it’s all over pain, front back middle sides everywhere

Also the glue job on my incision, yes it looks good, well except where I got it with a comb yesterday… Yeah… Ouch… But man some times it feels like it’s on fire! Especially when I first get up then it loosens up a bit but wow it is a weird feeling.

So any way I just don’t know what to do here… Call or not call? Spend all day in bed and see how I am doing later, end up at local ER to see whatever they suggest? I guess since it looks fine to me I just think well of course I am in pain this is still only day 5 and I have seen and read plenty of people weeks even months out still having pain like this… But it’s also my stubborn side too… So I just don’t know what to do here. When is too much pain too much pain to be in at home? Boy I made that long winded lol

Tuesday and got home Thursday.

Thanks Razzle, I haven’t been doing much but also haven’t been in bed all day either or any day since I have been home. Been sitting upright on the couch, walking around, taking a shower every day. Yesterday I knew I was in for it because I did not “rest” my head or neck all day. I didn’t go anywhere but I was up all day.

I am on the couch now with my head laying to the side on a pillow. If I had muscle relaxers to take more often it might help better. I only get robaxin and Valium every 8 hours and usually by hour 4 I am miserable and then it’s only oxycodone pain meds. I have my own flexoril but only have about 10 left (had those before surgery) so I have taken one of those in between during the day which helps a little until I can take the others but that isn’t going to last long.

What strength oxycodone did they give you?

5’s… Which I was told he would give me something stronger for break through pain considering I take 10/325’s for migraines! Instead he said to take 3 at a time.

I did get a nap in and just got up but not feeling any better at all. My head feels like it is going to just outright explode and my eyes will pop out first! Lol

Did you have Chiari Pressure Headaches before your surgery? You can also read about Occipital Neuralgia. That is also common with Chiarians. I have dealt with pain Dr's since 2001 and know Chiari pain & nerve pain. It complicates everything that you are still having surgical pain also. Please try the Arnica and if you need additional medication let your Dr. know or go to the ER. You can only make that judgement call. Just know you are your own Patient Advocate and NS aren't the best with pain control. Do you have a good PCP or Neurologist you can call?

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/occipitalneuralgia/occipitalneuralgia.htm

Yea I had pressure headaches but not like this… This I describe as swimming into a deep pool like when I was young and go 12 feet under by the drain and your googles get tighter and eyes feel like they will pop out of your head!

On day 1 after surgery when I would go from laying to sitting I had this pain and would wait a few seconds before getting up but it was gone Friday and yesterday and back full force today! Regardless how I get up its like all this pressure builds up in my head and is awful! Even if I am up walking around and go to sit down I feel it in a big way!

I do have a great PCP but I know she won’t give me anything because with mayfield I had to actually sign a paper saying I wouldn’t get prescriptions under anyone else’s care while under theirs. So unless they call her I doubt she would. However with the way I am still feeling going on almost 24 hours like this I will call mayfield in the morning and see what they say. Anything that can’t be called in and needs a paper script like some narcotics I’d have to wait for it in the mail or ask them to call her to write it for me. If that doesn’t work I will be in the ER and not driving two hours back to mayfield for it. The thing that irritates me is my papers all say 2 weeks of meds will be given and will extend up to 4 weeks… However my scripts were only written for one week at discharge and I don’t go back til April 3rd which is 2 weeks after surgery… So they will have to do something to get me even the 2nd week of meds. Which is why I need to call them tomorrow and have it mailed before Thursday! Most of my anxiety before this surgery was the pain management at home but I was assured it would be under control but they haven’t went by anything on my paperwork! So I am just worried, paranoid, and upset at that. It isn’t like my husband can drive and be there in 10 minutes ya know.

I just hope it all works out… But I am not going to lie, I am paranoid at this point. I will admit to not taking the pain meds as I am supposed to. I should be taking 3 every 4 hours but I haven’t been taking 3 every time because I don’t want to run out without knowing if I will have any for next week which is a big week of kids being back here with me and full swing mom again. I have been taking 3 today because I am in too much pain not to and hopefully I will get answers tomorrow. Even on their website it says the samething about pain meds. Of course I was also told I would be sent home with something stronger then what I take for migraines which isn’t the case either.

I am really trying not to be a downer on here and dr Tew is great and sure mayfield is great, but I had a horrible experience. I have a blog where I kept track of everything in the hospital, I had to talk to the manager of food services just to get extra milk sent to my room per my nurse! It was not the experience others have had or that I was expecting at all!

I won’t hesitate to say I was very disappointed in my experience there. And when they called Friday to check on me I talked to another person for their customer service survey thing. I have a letter partially written that I plan to send as well. But ya know I don’t care, even Dr Tee was angry and made it known to me in person about my care in the recovery room and not getting to my room that had been ready for hours all because they had no one to push my damn bed. I spent 12 hours in a bed before I got to my room, 12 hours without being offered food or snacks only ice, and over 12 hours before I had some one to help me up to try and pee which was too late and I had to have a catheter to relieve my bladder that had over 1,000cc’s or whatever… I filled a bag and a half of pee when they had to Cath me… That should not have happened. Especially when it was In my chart about my pee issues after surgeries and that I should be up to pee Asap but instead no one was able to take me… Seriously just thinking of all of it is depressing.

I know I won’t regret the decision BUT the care was not up to par, not even close for a “chiari center” and the rep they have. And dr Tews face said enough when I was in tears telling him about it the next day., his head hung low and not even looking at me but did apologize and made it clear that after my surgery he was up there doing rounds and my room was ready…

Ugh sorry I could go on and on but I will stop. However Tracy if you’d like to read my blog send me your email and I will invite you lol it’s password protected.

Will let you know how tomorrow goes and if I have to go to to the ER to get what I need then I will do so. I should not have to be in this much pain and should not have to worry about running out of pills! Makes me feel like a drug addict! And I have plenty of Vicodin that I could take and have taken in between but only one a day because I too paranoid to take more then what they told me too.

I’m thinking besides not getting enough lying down time yesterday this snowstorm may be having an effect on your head pressure. I have not felt very good today either. I’ll be glad when it’s gone.

Could be that too Donna… Hate Indiana!! But hope the 40’s are here by mid week like it says! I have spent the majority of the day in bed today so I am trying to be better at that. Hoping tomorrow is better!

You just had surgery and it is Major surgery you need to rest ..alot. I had to get off oxycodone because it was not helping. Your CSF has to have time to regain its flow. I was in the ICU flat on my back for 2 days after mine and then day 3 walking alittle but still was ordered to lay flat every 2 hrs for about 2 weeks. I followed this instructions completely. your body just went through alot. Do not rush yourself.

Good girl! : )

thanks Liz, I am doing better at the relaxing part today. My surgeon was not about being in bed, he even told my family After I as done that I would be out of bed walking in two hours and every few hours off and on. No laying flat or anything but everyone is different, mine must not have been as severe as yours.
I can’t stand laying on my back so I have been sleeping on my side/side of my head with 6 pillows in bed with me. But the glue still in my hair pulls and if I lay on the back of my head it feels like it’s pulling and on fire!

LizSpencer said:

You just had surgery and it is Major surgery you need to rest ..alot. I had to get off oxycodone because it was not helping. Your CSF has to have time to regain its flow. I was in the ICU flat on my back for 2 days after mine and then day 3 walking alittle but still was ordered to lay flat every 2 hrs for about 2 weeks. I followed this instructions completely. your body just went through alot. Do not rush yourself.

I’m so sorry you are having such a terrible time. I had the same “on fire” feeling in my scalp near my incision and even up to the top of my head after sugery. It lasted about 6 weeks, getting better every week. I’m at the two month post op mark now, and I only have a couple of spots that are still tender. It does all get better with time! Also, I pushed myself to be up a bit too much in the first couple of weeks, and I paid for it not only with pain but with general exhaustion that lasted a while. Try to lie down and rest as much as you can or at least rest your neck when sitting down on the couch. I still have to rest my neck some during the day even though its been a couple months. I hope and pray you get some pain relief tonight.

Sonya

Thank you Sonya, I am trying to relax my head and neck more today but so far it hasn’t made a bit of a difference pain wise.

Today was the first day I didn’t have the energy to shower either, hopefully tomorrow will be a new fresh less painful day!

Lyn727 said:
I'm so sorry you are having such a terrible time. I had the same "on fire" feeling in my scalp near my incision and even up to the top of my head after sugery. It lasted about 6 weeks, getting better every week. I'm at the two month post op mark now, and I only have a couple of spots that are still tender. It does all get better with time! Also, I pushed myself to be up a bit too much in the first couple of weeks, and I paid for it not only with pain but with general exhaustion that lasted a while. Try to lie down and rest as much as you can or at least rest your neck when sitting down on the couch. I still have to rest my neck some during the day even though its been a couple months. I hope and pray you get some pain relief tonight.

Sonya

Pain wins, first thing in the morning it’s a phone call to mayfield then the ER I imagine. Haven’t been able to sleep, too much pressure in my head. If we didnt have this lovely snow storm we would be going now but not going to risk that at 2:30am. I hope that I will get lucky and take my meds and wake up in a few hours with a little relief but right now I am at a 10 on pain and I
Can’t deal with it Ny more. I hope if i go, when I go they can help me, some how some way but I need help.

So sorry you’re in so much pain! Call your NS Dr and get stronger meds if you don’t get relief. Also don’t let the pain meds wear off, take it before the pain comes back! That’s so important! You need to heal and pain is very exhausting! It does get better!

Thanks Deanan I called the resident on call earlier and he said exactly what I thought he would say… Any drainage? Any redness? Any swelling? No, no, and no. I told him my pain has been a 10 for over 24 hours but that I live 2 hours from there and asked if I should just go to the ER here because I can’t handle the pain any more. He says well there will be ups and downs after surgery, call the office when they open, I am sure they have a protocol for this type of situation! Umm ya think? I’m not the only one that drives hours to get there.

They don’t open til 9 then I will call nurse nancy and see what she says. Regardless I have my mind made up I am going to a hospital. I shouldn’t have to be in this much pain. The pressure is there whether I sit, stand, or lay down, can’t sleep, can’t eat, can’t cry because it all hurts too bad.

So 20 more minutes to wait and 8 inches of snow here with schools closed. If they want me to drive there then I will drive there… But something has to be done. I can’t just “wait it out” any longer. My parents are 3 hours from me and mom is freaking out because she knows that if I say ER I am in a lot of pain. I don’t just run to a hospital for anything especially in this weather!

My husband has an appointment with our PCP this morning so he will talk to her too and I will stay here and shower to leave as soon as he is back. I don’t care if I go here in Indy, surely they will do something to help me! I feel so desperate and depressed. This just isn’t me, I have such a high tolerance for pain, I truly do… I feel like I could have a mental breakdown right now but I know that would hurt too much!

What part of Indiana are you ? I live in Goshen Indiana.