Post-op update

Here I am, 11 days post-op, and in more pain I’ve ever felt in my life. Gone is the happy-go-lucky “Oh I’m dandy oh I’m great!” feelinv, replaced by endless exhaustion and rushes of pain when I move too fast that bring me to my knees screaming in agony. I wish that was exaggerated, but it’s not. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had some really good days, but I have overdone it recently by thinking I’m better than I actually am and trying to go out and enjoy summer like any 18 year old girl with graduation money: shopping trips and Pinterest projects! I was stupid. I’m paying for it. I got my stitches out yesterday and told my surgeon about the new intense pain I’ve been having for about 2 days now, and he thinks I’m leaking internally from the incision but that it’ll likely fix itself in time and that it’s nothing to worry about. I don’t think he’s an idiot, I really trust and like this doctor (I DID let him take a chunk of my skull AND half of a vertebrae so I’m glad I do!) but should I be concerned? The pain is like getting a chiari migraine times a hundred on crack and seems to go from the incision all the way to my soul, I swear! It only happens when I change positions too quickly, and remaining absolutely still and/or moving at sloth speed seems to prevent it.
Oh! And, there was a mistake at my docs office because they didn’t order me any more painkillers, so I thought that they expected me to go without them from now on, and I ran out yesterday. When I was speaking to the (AMAZING grandma-like) nurse on the phone this morning, she was in complete shock that I was even barely functioning. She told me they DEFINITELY didn’t expect me to recover without painkillers this early on!! She spent a good ten minutes tsking and comforting me over the phone and I highly suspect she chewed out some people for not filling it beforehand. I think I love that woman. She’s such a sweetheart! The pain pills I have now again (hydrocodone) do help a bit with this new pain, but not 100%. Does this go away? And will I ever get my energy back for real? I think I have normal energy, and then I go out and do something and the next day I can’t move I’m so exhausted. Recovery is SO NOT FUN. Thanks for putting up with my rant!!

Sorry you are feeling bad! It does sound like you are doing a bit too much too soon. I know early on when I did a lot I'd pay for it with painful neck spasms! I know it's hard lying around when you are young but try to rest as much as possible! Maybe lie on the couch and do some online shopping with that graduation money! Then by the time the stuff gets delivered you'll be better able to enjoy it! :) Best wishes!

I suppose I MAYBE have been doing a little tiny bit too much… (Insert totally innocent smile here) I definitely learned my lesson… From now on, I’m going to try harder to relax and be a lazy couch bum. My mom’s, nurses’, friends’, and all of y’all’s well-meant scolding has gotten to me. I just hate feeling lazy! I don’t mind people helping me out with things I can’t do, but it makes me feel bad to rely on my family to do even the simplest things! Now that I have pain medication again, I do feel much better than yesterday, but I now know that even though I FEEL better… I’m NOT better. I think that’s starting to sink into my thick skull. Well, hahahaha it’s not so thick NOW I suppose! Sorry, cheesy jokes, sweet tea, chick flicks and bracelet making are my life right now.

I am 3 weeks post op today and have had to learn that same lesson. I hate being down like this but am looking forward to the end result and feeling like a normal human being again! We’ll get through this healing process and with the encouragement from the others on this site, it will help us get there. Praying for you!