5 weeks post-op and not ready for work

Hi all,

I am 5 weeks post op and go back to work next week. I am so scared and completely don’t feel ready to work 9-10 hour days plus the commute. I don’t see my doctor at all until after I already return to work. Seems strange but he says as long as my incision isn’t draining fluid I am good to go back. I am not sure what to do and feel sooo frustrated. I can’t even do errands for 2-3 hours without draining myself.

I agree - please call your doctor back and let him know. I also had to be extended and went back around 7-8 weeks and that really made the difference in being able to function all day! Best wishes to you in your recovery…

Don't let your doctor convince you to go back before your body is ready. I believe that there is no amount of testing that can prove you are ready to go back if your body is telling you that it still needs time. You know your body best.

Rebeka,

You definitely need to tell your doctor you are not ready to go back to work. It took me 2 months to feel like my neck could hold my head up and even after that I got tired very easy. Beeba has some great ideas. If you dont get what you need from your surgeon call your PC. Unfortunately the nature of our condition and the nature of the medical community forces us to be stronger than we ever dreamed possible and we need to advocate for ourselves and demand that we get the help and attention that we deserve. You deserve to be listened to and heard. Your feelings, pain and concerns are real. You are not weak or a hypercondriac or anything else negative that someone that isn't in your body tries to put on you.

If it helps bring someone with you that sees what you go through to help you advocate. Good luck. We are hear for you.

Wendy

My surgeon had told me that I would be ready to go back to wrk full time at 4 weeks. I had so much anxiety leading up to that 4 week date because I was no where near ready. I saw my PCP and told her my concerns. She was the one who extended my time off. I ended up staying home for another 6 weeks after that. It’s ok to not be ready yet. 6 weeks of recovery is just not enough time.