20 years since decompression

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with decompression and shunt in the spinal cord to relieve a syrinx. This was done 20 years ago and Ive been pretty lucky and lead a very normal life. About 2 months ago i was under a lot of stress and my back started hurting in the same spot as before and im having weird pheriphial neuropathy in my arm . Just reminds me of 20 years ago. Has anyone ever had issues with scar tissue? Thats all i can think of. Please help.

1 Like

I had a crainectomy decompression surgery by Dr. Milhorat. Terrible job done and left all the muscle clumped up in the back of my neck. I know have bulging discs flattening my spinal cord in my neck and am being scheduled for cervical fusion surgery. Also, my back caused pain but for the past 8 years I was pretty active. Then about a year ago I started having more pain and could not walk in the neighborhood anymore and then my left leg numbness moved all the way up to my knee from the ankle area. Went to orthopedic and he x-rayed my lumbar spine and I now also have to have S1 bolted to my pelvis and then the rest of the vertebrae fused all the way up to Thoracic 11. They are going to do the cervical first and then two months later , the back surgery. I am not positive but I think that having most of the skull removed a 4:x 4" piece was sawed out, may have caused some instability in the spine as the muscle were never reattached either. I also developed scoliosis after the accident that caused my chiari malformation. I don’t know if twenty years has anything to do with things falling apart again or not. Who did you have for surgery? Do you know if Darlene is doing okay? Maybe you were on this support group back when she was a major contributor and I think instrumental in starting this web page support group. I have not been on here myself in many years so I have lost touch with the people I used to write to. I went by Fubbi back then if you were on here you might remember my username.Take care and good luck.

Wondering how things have been with you as I’m 17 yrs post op. Had an atv accident and have started having strange symptoms. Have you gotten better since post?