2 and a half weeks post op

Hey everyone, i had my chiari decompression surgery on the 28th of December. I’m feeling a little defeated because my worst symptoms haven’t gone away in fact i feel a little worse in some ways. I know it’s still soon after surgery, but I’m hoping there’s still hope that my symptoms will get better. How long did it take for your symptoms to go away?

hi sarahhdavv have you spoken with your neurologist about it? Some symptoms will take time to go away. For me I had a few symptoms go away but then the pain never went away and I’m told I have to eventually have another surgery because last one didn’t work. I hope you start feeling better soon. Remember your body may take time to heal. Best wishes.

1 Like

I have spoken to my neurologist. He said that these were my longest standing issues so they might take longer to heal, if they do. I’m trying to remember that but it’s hard to not feel down on myself.

Totally understand i feel that way sometimes.

1 Like

It’s takes time. At two weeks, your tissue is still very swollen and could be causing similar symptoms to the pressure on the brainstem Chiari causes. It took me at least a month to notice any improvements, and now, at about five months, I feel better than I have in my life. Don’t give up hope!

1 Like

Thank you for that! I’m so glad to hear you’re doing well!

1 Like

Give it time. The surgery is a very traumatic event and you have been given the most severe case of whiplash imagineable. It will take your body time to heal. I noticed some immediate relief with my surgery, and the rest took time. My surgery was done Oct of 2016 and I feel pretty much 100% better at this point. It was about the 8-10 week mark that life really started to normalize for me. I also had some unusual complications that delayed my recovery. My best advice is to make sure you are getting a ton of fluids, walking daily, and resting as much as your body demands to rest. Take it easy and if you can, don’t push it. I was told it would take a full year or more to recover and realize all the changes and relief. My surgeon was right about that!

1 Like

Thank you thank you thank you. You guys are giving me hope and have no idea how badly i need it. :heart:

2 Likes