"You gotta Head ache?"

Do you guys ever get that question when you are having a really bad Chiari day??? I get a bit PO'd when some people ask ..."you gotta Head ache??'"...Its a heck of a lot more than a H/A..I want to scream.

Just b/c we don't tell every ache, pain, burn, weird sensation, weakness, visual problems, balance issues...every day...in other word..we basically suffer in silence most of the time...but God Forbid..we have a day when we are not all smiles b/c we feel like hell....'You gotta head ache'?????

hope you are all having a decent w/e..staying warm and safe and hopefully pain-free.

God Bless,

Lori

Omg I hate that!

Haha well I wouldn't say I'm more tolerant...I just stop trying to explain when I see there is no interest or they act like the couldn't give a s***. I hate when someone asks and really all they apparently wanted to hear was "yea but i'm fine" or some very simple answer. Sometimes I just don't feel like wasting my breath.

Every time I go into work with head pain...if its real bad I will turn the back office lights off and sit until I have a guest come to check in/phone ring... I've had them ask (when they see the light off/I have a wet rag on my head etc while I'm at work...) Oh don't you feel good? Then I start to explain and they just say oh well take some tylenol that will help....Then I say how it will not help and that I shouldn't be at work. (9.9/10 times I don't call off because there is no one to work...and they don't take me seriously when I say I have head pain and can't come in...)so I come in and sit at the desk and don't do crap, they see I don't feel good but not the severity of it..Do they tell me to just go home and they'll take care of finding someone to work?? nope. They say "why don't you call so and so and see if they'll come in for you" thanks for the help.

I work full time, I’m the Assistant Guest Service Manager at a hotel in Gettysburg. I’m a workaholic. I have been since my first job. Most of the time I hate sitting around doing nothing. We are low staffed there isn’t anyone to cover really when someone calls in. And some people get different treatment when they call in vs others which isn’t fair. (I don’t want to go into a big work rant and my issues with where I work, I could be here forever) there really isn’t anything available in my area. I’ve been looking for a new job but there isn’t anything out there. I have my associates degree in general business management, really want to stay in the hotel or restaurant business.I don’t think I could do disabillity unless I absolutely had to. it sucks how some places run like that. The expect things out of certain people because they know they are reliable and will come in no matter what, then there are others who call in ‘sick’ and come in to pick up there check that day perfectly fine. I’ve gotten attitude when I’ve called in because my mom was in the hospital. Ive worked here for 4 years and probably only called out 5 times, if that. Most of them due to someone else not myself. They try and switch shifts if someone does call out instead of just giving that person off, they end up switching a day with the person who covered.Anyways…it really does suck and shouldn’t be that way anywhere. There are people who take advantage of that too.

Carla Stone said:

Alicia,

Where do you work? It doesn’t sound like they value their employees very much. Have you thought about applying for temporary or permanent disability so that you don’t have to drag yourself out everyday for a job that your not working at anyway? Sounds like maybe you should. You should not have to go in if you are suffering with horrible head pressure and pain. Those companies that tell you to find your own replacements really make me mad! If you felt well enough to be on the phone trying to find someone, you would feel well enough to stay at work! DUH! My daughter has the same problem with her job. If she calls in with a terrible head cold and you can definitely tell from her voice, they still tell her she will have to come in if she doesn’t find someone to work for her. And she works with food - real nice! Do you work full time?

Carla

Alicia Roden said:

Haha well I wouldn’t say I’m more tolerant…I just stop trying to explain when I see there is no interest or they act like the couldn’t give a s***. I hate when someone asks and really all they apparently wanted to hear was “yea but i’m fine” or some very simple answer. Sometimes I just don’t feel like wasting my breath.

Every time I go into work with head pain…if its real bad I will turn the back office lights off and sit until I have a guest come to check in/phone ring… I’ve had them ask (when they see the light off/I have a wet rag on my head etc while I’m at work…) Oh don’t you feel good? Then I start to explain and they just say oh well take some tylenol that will help…Then I say how it will not help and that I shouldn’t be at work. (9.9/10 times I don’t call off because there is no one to work…and they don’t take me seriously when I say I have head pain and can’t come in…)so I come in and sit at the desk and don’t do crap, they see I don’t feel good but not the severity of it…Do they tell me to just go home and they’ll take care of finding someone to work?? nope. They say “why don’t you call so and so and see if they’ll come in for you” thanks for the help.

Hi Gang!!!

I want to 1st thank you guys for chiming in on this post...I gather we all feel pretty much the same way!!! Carla..I like your response.."I have a neurological disorder..ect" I think I may try that approach in the future if anyone asks me how i am, what is wrong , ect..

Alicia, God Bless you!!! How you can hold down a FT job I don't know....Your place of employment and your co-workers sound like they are oblivious to your condition...I see where Carla asked if you thought about short or long term disability..have you given that any thought??? It was a hard thing for me to even consider..but I knew I could not do my job any longer..I applied on-line through Social Security Disability...I got approved 1st time applying..the application was so long..I had my husband read the questions and he typed in the answers for me...took about 4 mths to get a response.I will encourage any of you to apply if you are having issues working..you do not have to stay on it forever...that was my thing before i applied..i couldn't accept in my heart that i was 'disabled'...but then it became apparent that i was unemployable for the time being.

God Love ya Suz..How did you ever manage the soccer field for 6 hrs????????????????????? What we do for love, right??

Gotta love those folks at the field who ask if your ALL BETTER??? Do they mean well, I hope so..but i find that most people, like Alicia said , really don't give a S**T!!!

I am so glad I found this place..you guys are tops!!!!! This condition is a very lonely one...that has been my personal battle cry from the get go....If we had cancer(God forbid), a broken leg ect..I think people would respond in a different way..sometimes I feel as though some think this is all in my imagination..i just don't want to work!!!I think that may be my own paranoia...do you guys ever feel like that????

sorry i am going on and on.

Love to you all,

Lori

I totally hear you!!!

I also love it when everyone finds out you have Chiari and they are all like hanging all over and doting you and then when you are at your lowest they are n where to be found...just a bunch of drama addics.

Hope you feel better soon.

Susan Erickson said:

Lori,

You know exactly how I feel and you couldn't have explained it any better!!!! I didn't know we could apply for social security online....Gonna have to check that out......I certainly need to get mine going, that is for sure....I've just been sick with Kayla's cold and she spent the night throwing up and wanting Mom....Yep, I did it until about 3 this morning when she passed out, I passed out and now I feel like death....Just what I need, another head cold, man, that pressure is crazy....Still can feel the cold wind coming in my right ear from the soccer game...LOL I think it froze the right side of my brain and ear....LOL...Can't hear AT ALL out of that ear....Oh well, nobody has anything good to say most of the time other than complaints anyhow, so maybe it's a "perk".....LOL....Gotta laugh at it....

Suz

I don't think I could go without working. When I was out of a job for 3 months (because the restaurant closed down) I was going out of my mind. I didn't know what to do with myself. I have to keep myself busy. If I don't absolutely have to, I won't apply for disabillity. I have so many things I want to do and accomplish. I feel like if I stop or slow down now, that I'll get to used to that and not be able to pick back up again, or it will be too late for me. I don't know if that makes sense.

I'm really trying to find a better job/career. Long story short with my current job. I was given the Asst. GSM position (it was actually created for me..) I really should have been given the GSM spot. The previous GSM was training me (without my knowledge...I always look to learn new things whether its my job or not) because she knew I was leaving. She knew I had the degree and I had the drive and wanted to move up from just Guest Service Representative. She was showing me things that the GSM does. Then the restaurant at our hotel was closing down...the girl that worked in the restaurant (her mom is the executive asst. of the hotel) as the asst. manager at the restaurant (no Front desk experience) I was reccommended for the position of GSM by the previous GSM. The one working the restaurant got the spot. I ended up training her. I'm supposed to be getting 40 hrs a week 5 days a wk. Nope that doesn't happen. I get about 32 hours/wk. I've said this to both her and the GM. (slow time of the year now...so I can't really get more than that...BS) As the GSM she is (supposed to be) responsible to finding someone to cover if someone calls off. (she doesn't. she has you find your own replacement) If there is no one who can possibly work...she is supposed to cover. In the 2 yrs she has had that position she has not once worked another shift other than her 8-4 mon-fri. She doens't know how to do nt audit (3rd shift) (I've done several times...without being asked...just put on the sched.) She hasn't worked a weekend shift, a night shift. Anything. RIDICULOUS! I get s**t on because I've stopped voicing my issues because they have gotten me nowhere. This has gone on for about 2 years. I haven't found anywhere else to work. I have a lot of bills to pay and I didn't go to school and get a degree to go work at mcds. It sucks that there isn't anything otu there. I can't afford to move away to an area with more opportunities either. So I stick with it. I look for jobs weekly.

(There is my vent on work....there is more. lol but I'm done for now)

Grrr. (Anyone want to hire me?? lol $12/hr? FT?)

Thanks Abby you are so sweet! I find this to be pretty common here :o) I wish that someday we could all get together to meet, that would be wonderful.

I have my Associates Degree in Business Management. It does suck having to put up with so much. I love working at the hotel. (When its busy and there is stuff to do) Thanks:) I'm hoping I can find something soon!

Alicia

Carla Stone said:

Alicia,

What do you have a degree in? It sounds like you have put up with a lot of crap on your current job. I don't know how you do that especially when you don't feel good. It is hard to be out of work and it is hard to get motivated when you get used to not working. I am sorry that you have not been able to find anything else. I am sure that is very frustrating. I hope that something opens up for you soon. I will keep you in my prayers:)

Love,

Carla

Alicia Roden said:

I don't think I could go without working. When I was out of a job for 3 months (because the restaurant closed down) I was going out of my mind. I didn't know what to do with myself. I have to keep myself busy. If I don't absolutely have to, I won't apply for disabillity. I have so many things I want to do and accomplish. I feel like if I stop or slow down now, that I'll get to used to that and not be able to pick back up again, or it will be too late for me. I don't know if that makes sense.

I'm really trying to find a better job/career. Long story short with my current job. I was given the Asst. GSM position (it was actually created for me..) I really should have been given the GSM spot. The previous GSM was training me (without my knowledge...I always look to learn new things whether its my job or not) because she knew I was leaving. She knew I had the degree and I had the drive and wanted to move up from just Guest Service Representative. She was showing me things that the GSM does. Then the restaurant at our hotel was closing down...the girl that worked in the restaurant (her mom is the executive asst. of the hotel) as the asst. manager at the restaurant (no Front desk experience) I was reccommended for the position of GSM by the previous GSM. The one working the restaurant got the spot. I ended up training her. I'm supposed to be getting 40 hrs a week 5 days a wk. Nope that doesn't happen. I get about 32 hours/wk. I've said this to both her and the GM. (slow time of the year now...so I can't really get more than that...BS) As the GSM she is (supposed to be) responsible to finding someone to cover if someone calls off. (she doesn't. she has you find your own replacement) If there is no one who can possibly work...she is supposed to cover. In the 2 yrs she has had that position she has not once worked another shift other than her 8-4 mon-fri. She doens't know how to do nt audit (3rd shift) (I've done several times...without being asked...just put on the sched.) She hasn't worked a weekend shift, a night shift. Anything. RIDICULOUS! I get s**t on because I've stopped voicing my issues because they have gotten me nowhere. This has gone on for about 2 years. I haven't found anywhere else to work. I have a lot of bills to pay and I didn't go to school and get a degree to go work at mcds. It sucks that there isn't anything otu there. I can't afford to move away to an area with more opportunities either. So I stick with it. I look for jobs weekly.

(There is my vent on work....there is more. lol but I'm done for now)

Grrr. (Anyone want to hire me?? lol $12/hr? FT?)