What To expect

I am scheduled for decompression on the 16 of April. What can I expect after surgery? When I get home?

Has anyone ever experienced searing pain behind their eye accompanied by burred vision? This is a new pain. I already have deafness in left ear. Is it uncommon for one side of body to be affected more than the other? Please help!

My post-op experience was good. Not much pain, mostly just tired and stiff. Be prepared to rest...a lot.

I had more pain on my right side than my left. My NS spoke as if that wasn't uncommon.

HI My surgery is May 16th. I’m glad to hear everything went well. How long was your recovery? Can you tell me more about your experience, i.e. how long was your recovery, when were you able to resume normal activities? Are there any lessons learned?
Thanks, Cphilly

I haven’t had my surgery yet it’s this month. Still kinda absorbing everything. Sorry I couldn’t help much but will let you know as soon as I know.

My surgery was almost six month ago. I was released the day after surgery and other than being stiff, sore, and tired I felt ok. I was restricted from lifting over 5lbs., bending at the waist, driving, and exercising for six weeks. I was encouraged to walk as much as I felt able. I was cleared for going back to work at 8 weeks. Normally it would’ve been six but I was got sick unrelated to the surgery so the doctor have me a little extra time. At that point I had no restrictions! I’m am doing quite well, I still get tired easy and have to be careful with neck. Prior too surgery I struggled through work and went straight to bed. Now I exercise daily, hike most weekends, and can generally enjoy life again!

Best wishes to you both! If you have any specific questions feel free to message me!

Hey! My surgery is scheduled for May 17th. I experience the same thing you are, where one side of my body is affect more than the other. I've mentioned something to my mom about this before I found out that I have Chiari and she thought I was crazy. But everything on the right side of my body hurts, i.e my eyes, neck, shoulder, arm, elbow, hand, back, hip, knee and foot. It sucks and I sometimes can't stand the pain. I learned to accept it after 4 years of dealing with it, but I'm glad to be having my surgery. I cannot wait to have all of this go away and be almost normal.

Oh this gives me so much hope!!

Anglyn said:

My surgery was almost six month ago. I was released the day after surgery and other than being stiff, sore, and tired I felt ok. I was restricted from lifting over 5lbs., bending at the waist, driving, and exercising for six weeks. I was encouraged to walk as much as I felt able. I was cleared for going back to work at 8 weeks. Normally it would've been six but I was got sick unrelated to the surgery so the doctor have me a little extra time. At that point I had no restrictions! I'm am doing quite well, I still get tired easy and have to be careful with neck. Prior too surgery I struggled through work and went straight to bed. Now I exercise daily, hike most weekends, and can generally enjoy life again!

Best wishes to you both! If you have any specific questions feel free to message me!

Hope the surgery went well,just take good care of yourself.I am 5 months out and still get tired easily.I was doing pretty well in a couple of months and I am feeling better and I am glad I went through the decompression.You just have to be patient it is a slow recovery so don’t be surprised if things are up then down,thinking of you today.
F