What else would they be looking for?

So they want me to have another mri next week and want me to take both to my neurosurgeons appointment when I go. All they told me about this mri is that they are looking lower down my spine what else do you think they could be looking for?

Maybe checking to rule out syringomyelia/syrinx which is a cyst in the center of the spinal cord that is filled with fluid. They are common with Chiari.

If present, a syrinx can enlarge over time which puts pressure on the spinal cord and causes various symptoms depending on where it’s located. The presence of a syrinx is, I believe, one of the indicators for surgery.

But of course they will also be checking the other anatomical structures to ensure they are all normal and not potential causes of your symptoms.

Hope your appointment goes well, Holly8828. Best wishes.

As Jules said, a syrnix is the first thing to come to mind. I know right now your a little nervous, I was when I went for mine this year. I was having a lot of neck and shoulder pain, and pain down in my back. Until you get your results, please don’t do like I did and panic. There could be tethered cord, or something very simple like a Trevor cyst.
We are her for you. Keep up updated and sending you good wishes.

Shyringomylia has already been noted in my diagnosis and I’m doing my best not to get too nervous about all of it.

Holly,
Your among friends who know what your going through.
It’s not easy, but just knowing your not alone is somewhat very comforting. You know we are sending you our very best thoughts and wishes. Please let us know how your doing or if there is any questions you need to ask. Preparing your questions as you think of them will be helpful to you and the books and referrals here will really benefit you.
Sending you hugs.

1 Like