Surgery tips!

I am 15 and i am going in for the surgery this summer. I am terrified. What should I expect? Any tips for recovery? Any tips for preparation?

Hi, Lauren.

It is understandable you are scared. It is a big thing to undergo for anyone nevertheless a young person. Have you talked to your surgeon and medical care team about the surgery and the level of anxiety you are having? Or a counselor? The more you know about the upcoming surgery and what to expect the better prepared you will be. They should be able to help you with managing anxiety before and after your surgery as well as any pain. Also, as the Summer is some time away, I know it isn’t easy, but do your best not to focus on it too much. It’s really important you don’t overwhelm yourself. Try and distract yourself by going out with friends or doing something relaxing. I am sure members here will share experiences and tips too.

Hugs,

Laurie

Hi Lauren! I just had my first decompression on May 22. Something important to remember is that everyone responds and heals differently. People respond differently to anesthesia. Something that is very important is this: after surgery when they say do not do anything until your follow up appointment that is exactly what that means. I basicalmy use the restroom and shower on my own and that’s about it. I make my husband wash my hair, I just wash body/shave. Regarding surgery, you won’t feel anything. You’ll go under general anesthesia which means they make you sleep. You will have a breathing tube placed so your throat may be sore afterwards. I get really sick with this type of anesthesia so if this happens to you, I promise it will pass, try to keep your body relaxed if/when it happens. Aside from that you will have some soreness where the incision is and you may have some numbness and kind of a burning pain when you touch parts of your head. It gets better, but remember you have nerves who’s natural channels are disrupted. You’ll be in the hospital about 5 days. Try to eat foods that are high in fiber so you don’t have to strain to have a bowl movement, plus many of the pain medications they’ll give you in the hospital and when you’re disc hard home will cause constipation.

Remember what I said in the beginning, everyone’s different ok?! Don’t be afraid or worried. Be sure to communicate your concerns with your doctor, the nurses taking care of you and even your parents. They can talk to the doctor if you aren’t feeling good. They’re there to answer your questions. You should see your surgeon or one of his/her associates every day.

I hope this helps you and I wish you all the success and a healthy recovery!

Jen

I agree with Jen. I remember being so disappointed in myself and really upset at the hospital because it took me 3 months to heal when the doctor said it would be 6 weeks. Everyone does heal differently. Also make sure you have someone that can look after you because it's really hard to take a shower, eat and do anything for the first couple weeks. I was truly lucky to have my parents, mostly my mom who forced me to live with her 2 months of my recovery. :). Happy I did. Tell the doctor exactly how you are feeling and don't be afraid that they will be mad at you or think you are crazy. I didn't and ended up having to stay in the hospital longer because of it.

Make sure your naisl are "natural" any polish etc gone including your toes. You don't want to have the scrub nurses do it... I suggest you trim them short.

Things from my grandaughter also would get your hair cut or styled so have to do little with it for a month or two. Tell the stylist you want it to be able to have it grow out without a "shaggy dog look." The better you can take care of yourself and the better you can make yourself look the faster you will recover.

I would also lay in a good stock of reading material. "screens" tend to be difficult at first. If don't have one now installing learnring to use an audible texting program will really be a help keeping in touch. Your thumbs may not feel like flying for a week or so (IVs) get a blue tooth speaker for your tunes. You may not feel like buds. Wireless headphones (sport style may work) You will want your play lists at the hospital especially at night to cover up the hospital noise

Check your wardrobe. Tighter tops etc can be a problem and taking things off and on overhead can really be a bear...... With a little a little pre planning you can still look like you and not have to borrow your moms zippered sweats with the be-dazzler gone wild........

The staffs are wonderful, and really know how to get you through everything one thing at a time one hour at a time. Stay away from green jello, the red is okay. Have a selection of pillow from thick to thin, and don't be afraid to take your own to the hospital. Hospital pillows are usually too thick. I don't car how old you are.... take a picture or two and a favorite stuffy. Familiar things help you relax. If you have a boyfriend, borrow a shirt from him that you have seen him wear that reminds you of him for a PJ top when you get home....