Recovery Time to go back to Work?

Well went and saw a new NS today, she was pretty forward in saying I need surgery. I asked about recovery time and how long it would take for me to get back to work. I was in alittle shock when she told me 3-6 weeks. I was thinking more like 3-6 months for a surgery like that especially with my job. I work on a assembly line in a car factory so needless to say I have a very physical job. Don't get me wrong if I feel fine of course I would go back sooner but I can't see getting back to work in that short of time.

Am I wrong?? Should I look for another new NS?

Everyone is different,they told me 6 weeks but I was off for 10 weeksand to be honest I went back far too early because I was having complications.You will know when your body is ready,take as much time to rest as u can.

Denise x

You are not wrong, just listen to your body. I’m 4 weeks post- op and my recovery was not bad. I was able to start working part time from home after two weeks, and returning next week. I’m sure your doctor will give you as much time as you need. Hopefully, your job is supportive. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the feeback, I think am just worried because where I work it is not a very people friendly place. We just had a girl who was 9 months pregnant in there and they said she couldn't have time off before the baby was born because she doesnt have one year yet and she doesn't qualify for sick leave. Just not a nice place to be when your not feeling well.

Melissa,

If your ns does alot of Chiari surgeries I'd stay with him. The experience would out way any issues with bed time manner. I would say that giving that time line it would worry me a little. Is he going to be supportive if you need more time? How heavily do you need to lean on him to get time off from your job? You need to have time to heal and take care of yourself and you don't want to have anything get in the way of that especially worrying about meeting some artificial deadline set by a doctor or your work. You want to be able to meet the expectations of your career and heal. You need people around you that will allow that to happen. You need to ask him if that's the case will he help you if you need more time to recover and your job needs notification. There is also nothing wrong with getting a second opinion if there is a surgeon that is experienced with Chiari near you. Everyone is different with the healing process and complications. Surgeons as a whole don't usually have a good bedside manner but there is a difference between bedside manner and a lack of empathy and support. You need to find out which one this is so you can make an informed choice. How they deal with your questions will also give you some insight as to how they will handle your concerns after.

Wendy

Please take your time for your recovery

My NS said 4 weeks ( I am a Meat Cutter so physical as well) and wasn't able to retune for 14 weeks and then only 4 hrs/ day it took about 6-8 weeks before i was able to work a full shift. But like others have said every one is different. Im 46 and don't heal as fast as someone who is younger.

The others are right everyone is different. It depends on how long you have had chairi. In my case I was due to go back to work in 6 weeks and have not been able to.