Question about symptoms

I was diagnosed with CM several years ago, it was discovered as they were testing for something else. The doctor asked if I had any symptoms, I didn’t think so, he felt there was no need to explore it further. About 6 years ago I started getting double vision, mostly after I was on a computer or reading for long periods of time. It has gotten progressively worse. I had a CAT scan and they tested for gravis myothenia, which came up negative. The latest is they feel I have a weak muscle, so I have started therapy, but have only done it a few times and cannot tell a difference yet. The other item that has bothered me is occasionally my ears will feel blocked and start to ring, this goes on usually for several days and then it goes away, it happens every couple of months. In speaking to a mother of one of my daughters friend she mentioned her daughter had CM, it reminded me of the diagnosis and I quite honestly had forgotten that I was diagnosed and now wonder if my vision and hearing may have something to do with CM. Do these sound like symptoms? Been frustrating trying to figure out the vision issue as it is driving me crazy. Thanks

A lot of chiari patients have double vision and ringing in the ears. I would go back to your doctor and let him know you think symptoms seem to be progressing!

Emmaline, thank you for the reply, I am unable to open the link you attached, do you mind resending?

Emmaline said:

Here is a list of the most common symptoms to see where you fall as a Chiari patient...

FileNotFound*xnmJQ*aICiCwpkhOY6d/symptomslistchiari.htm

I have had ringing in my ears since 2005. It was unexplained as my MRI showed nothing. In 2009 I was diagnosed with MS -- but only b/c I had optic neuritis (blur the center of my vision in one eye) and my lumbar puncture was positive. In 2010 I was a test subject in Buffalo and it was then I was told I had CM. I associated CM with headaches and I didn't get those so I just kind of forgot about that piece of info. At the time I was 6 months with permanent blurred vision, giving myself injections for MS, and had learned I had a schwannoma in my spine that would have to be removed so CM just didn't register with me. I always assumed the ringing was due to MS. 6 months ago the ringing in my right ear is so loud I have hearing loss. Had an MRI of the head and CM was found again. I went to a NS. He said he would not do surgery unless I had more debilitating symptoms. He said he couldn't guarantee my hearing would come back nor could he guarantee that due to the surgery I wouldn't end up with more symptoms I wouldn't want. So what I'm learning is surgery is saved for when you can no longer function in life......... I guess I'm buying a hearing aid for my right ear.

I wish you luck in your journey with CM,

Melissa

I get blurred vision sometimes (well, always, but sometimes even my glasses don't help for a couple of hours til it stops) and ringing in my ear that comes and goes. Never lasts more than a few minutes at a time though.

I was able to pull from the resource tab. Thank you.

Emmaline said:

Yeah, doesn't look like that one is going to work either...sorry.

Yes the ENT said the ringing was due to hearing loss. I guess when my hearing loss increased (overnight) so did the ringing. I'm going for a ABR test this Thursday. They determine if it is the nerve that is damaged or not. I'm not sure if this will tell me if it is MS that caused the loss or not. I'm sure I will never know and just have to live with it. I'm going to assume with all the CM people that report hearing loss/tinnitus as a symptom mine is from that. Not many MS people report hearing loss as a symptom.