Pregnancy and Chiari

Does anyone have any information on being pregnant with Chiari?

MissChris,

My story is very much like Beeba's. I had 2 kids before I knew I had Chiari and had great pregnancies in my 30's. I delivered both through natural childbirth. For some reason I had a severe fear of a needle in my spine. After I was diagnosed I was so glad I didn't because like Abby said it can make Chiari worse. If a doctor knows they can avoid it. I wouldn't know what I would do with out my kids. They help me focus on something other than myself and my Chiari and they make me endlessly happy. Except now they are teenagers LOL

Wendy

Hi!
I had my daughter before i was diagnosed. but i was chronically ill ever since giving birth. I had an epidural (which didnt work) i pushed for an hour and then had to have a c section with a spinal block due to the epidural not working.
i asked my NS about future pregnancies. he said "if you have symptoms of chiari during pregnancy than i need to have another section… but if my val salvas etc are fine during pregnancy, then he wouldnt have a problem with me trying for a vaginal birth"
To be honest… everybody is different… and every pregnancy is different. so i think its a decision between you/your partner and your doctors. depending on your individual circumstances :slight_smile:

Good luck!xxx

I had two kids after having surgery for my Chiari. I was able to have them both at home with a midwife, so no drugs or interventions. One was 7 lbs. 10 ounces and the other was 9 lbs. 4 ounces. I had zero issues/problems during the pregnancy and birth related to the Chiari. And I also have scoliosis and have a Harrington Rod and a fused spine and that still didn't prevent me from having completely normal and problem-free pregnancy and births. I hope this helps and feel free to ask me more questions about my pregnancy and births, I'm happy to share and help out any way I can. -Val

I just came across some information about Chiari and pregnancy that I wanted to share.

http://chiaricare.com/Resources/FAQs.aspx --- this is where I found the information

Here's the specific information I came across that I thought you might be interested in:

• If pregnant, do CM-I patients have to have a Cesarean section?

No. Many women have normal vaginal deliveries. This decision should be made after a discussion with your OB/GYN.

• Is pregnancy possible with CM-I?

Yes. Many women with CM-I have normal, uncomplicated pregnancies.