Postsurgery symptoms

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone, post surgery, has ever gotten positive results with getting rid of other Chiari symptoms other then the headaches? Like insomnia, memory loss, depression, etc…
Thanks

Heidi

I had a lessening of depression after about 6 months – it took some time for sure. The surgery and recovery are hard and increased depression is normal in that time. My memory loss didn’t change. My overall pain level did, and typically things that bothered me, including pain in my limbs that nobody thought was related to the Chiari actually are about 99% improved. But I think it depends on the success of the surgery, and your individual case.

Hi Nurse Heidi…

My Headaches were immediately gone upon waking up in icu. My Decompression surgery was in 2004, and then I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2008, so many symptoms never went away, they just changed a bit. It can be disheartening to read another’s issues/outcomes. However, in 2018, I am handling life pretty well. I have learned how to deal with and accept my limitations. It takes a lot of trial and error to get there, & only God knows how long it will last but being upbeat and optimistic is a HUGE tool. This is truly an invisible disorder and I like the challenge to stay ‘normal’
God Bless

2 Likes

I was told by my neurosurgeon at my 6 month check up that after a year what does not improve usually sticks. What I have found is post op care often falls short on guidance for Chiari patients.
I overexerted with exercise and regret that; we often have other spinal issues and these get aggravated by to much exercise. Light exercise, ongoing chiropractic care and massage are great assets.
I recently was put on Cymbalta and it has helped with feeling extremities and lessening pain caused by misfiring of nerves. My internal medicine doctor also scheduled a sleep study because we often suffer from narcolepsy and she said there are a variety of medicines to help.
Stay away from caffeine and anything that speeds up your system.
Good luck and best wishes.

Hi im currently suffering with severe headaches that last for days. I know its a little off topic but i was wondering if anyone has any tips on soothing the headache as i am in early stages. I was diagnosed with 14mm herniation and am currently awaiting a csf flow stufy to be completed. I aslo heard cafeine can ease the head pains
Thanls in advance.