Post-op

I had decompression surgery on June 30th. When I woke I was shaking uncontrollably, blood pressure ranged 140 to 180. I also had total right weakness. After about a day movement to my right arm and most of my right leg returned but they still felt heavy and weak. By the third day some movement was returning to remainder of my right leg. I was told I had a pinched nerve due to surgery and that was the reason my arm and leg was having difficulties. I was sent home with rolling walker, OT; PT; and nursing. The other day the OT noticed that I was displaying some slight right sided neglect.{ when talking I only move my left. Right stays in my lap. I do use it during therapy exercise so I know it is there, I just forget to activate it during normal activities such as eating, or opening things. The hardest part is re-teaching my leg to work the way I want it too, while trying to stay positive. Wondering if I will be able to return to work as a therapist, but also trying to be realist is daunting.

On a positive note since surgery I have not had any pressure like headache, pain is to a min, sensitivity to light is almost non-existent. I also have been getting about 6 straight hours of sleep. { this has not happened for so long that I forgot what it was like to sleep and feel refreshed} If I had a crystal ball that foretold the difficulties I would face from surgery. I would still do the surgery, the relief I feel outweighs the challenge I now face. I will overcome this diversity even if I have to live with it for the remainder of my life. I will not let it define me nor will I let it control me.

Sorry, but I was not clear. Is whole one sided weakness and neglect being attributed to a pinched nerve or did you have a stroke as a complication of surgery? Hopefully, you can get a clear reasoning for your post-surgery difficulties and carry on with good treatment. It sounds like you have a number of people working with you and have seen some good improvements post-surgery. It is never a magic bullet and I hope that you continue to improve. Good luck!

I use the term "pin he'd nerve" lightly because that is what the doctor at the hospital called because they could not explain the symptom I was describing or why I was having them. I truly believe I suffered a mild stroke due to complication from the surgery. The reason I believe this is because my symptom mimic more stroke sign then a pinched nerve. The only way to truly rule in/out a stroke would be an MRI or CAT scan which would show if I had a bleed. I have great support, through family, friends and therapist. Plus my own knowledge as a therapist.