Post op 2 1/2 weeks of second surgery

Hello all I hope everyone is having a great holiday season-

I have been wanting to get on here sooner but so much has happened and came very fast. I had my second chiari decompression surgery on December 4th with my same NS and another one which made me feel more at ease as this was essentially a redo because the area was still not big enough for good cerebral flow and had a fluid accumulation found on the upper left part of my head I could feel and seen on a new MRI I had late october with reoccurring symptoms. The surgery went very well and I have been again same as last year recovering so great so far. I found out afterwards that the fluid lump and a few other lumps (I had found before but thought maybe scar tissue) as well as my lymph nodes which have been bigger since my 1st surgery last year that no one could explain why was all because of a glue-like seal that was used to help quickly seal my first surgery (usually used on heart patients as it quickly seals up tight) my NS thought too tight which was a reasoning behind not having still enough room for the CSF. However, I found out that this sealant used I had an inflammatory reaction to which caused the fluid accumulation bump, the other sacs of lumps and finally the answer to my inflamed lymph nodes. My NS was angry and he used this same on a few other patients one after me who did have a response too but said he wanted to contact the FDA as theres no warning this can occur. Still trying to understand as this was all told to me the day after my surgery so my follow up I will get more answers about it all. But wanted to check if anyone else has had this or if getting surgery check to see what they are using and dont use this sealant. In addition, this time around I had more bone shaved off and got a shunt put in my 4th ventricle still unsure of everything as I am recovering still and need to follow up about it all with my NS. I have mostly been sleeping and resting and staying ahead of the pain. Everything so far going great and lucky for great support of family and friends as well as so many thoughts and prayers have been so wonderful. I am blessed and excited to hopefully this year have more of a christmas to be a part of this year and not sleeping the whole time since my surgery was later last year. Just wanted to update and let others know about that inflammatory reaction and if any advice for the shunt for others who have one or any questions I would love to help with as well. God Bless everyone during this holiday season and remember we are all in this together :) conquering chiari again and again :)

Emily

Emily, thank you for sharing about the reaction- I’m so sorry this happened to you. BUT I’m so glad it was fixed and you are on your way! I’m happy you are doing well!

Merry Christmas, jenn