Occipital Neuralgia

Last month I went to CO to see Dr Oró. After all of the tests and evaluations, Dr Oró diagnosed me with Occipital Neuralgia (ON). Since that time, I have been able to feel the difference between my Chiari headaches and the ON headaches. In case you have not heard of it…ON is an issue with the nerves in the neck being stressed. I’m guessing it is caused by the pressure of the Chiari Malformation. Has anyone else been diagnosed with ON? If so, what has been a successful treatment for it?

I just found this in an article I was reading about occipital neuralgia & wanted to share.

What causes occipital neuralgia?

Occiptal Neuralgia may occur spontaneously, or as the result of a pinched nerve root in the neck (from arthritis, for example), or as the result of prior injury or surgery to the scalp or skull. Sometimes “tight” muscles at the back of the head can entrap the nerves.

I'm thinking CM is the "tight" muscles/brain matter they are speaking of...

Here is the link to the full article http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/specialty_areas/headache/conditions/occipital_neuralgia.html

I would think the decompression surgery would fix this from what I red...

I had my decompression surgery in December 2011. I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia and compresssion of the 10th cranial nerve. I am almost 5 months post op and still have pain associated with the 10th cranial nerve. As I understand it, even though the nerves should have been decompressed, there may have been permanent damage caused from the Chiari. Also, I was told by the NS that the area of those nerves to be "pinched" wasn't even close to where I had my surgery. Big question mark after that one!!! So, I am not sure where the real problem lies. There are several medications that may help. I am currently on Gabapentin (neurontin) and Amnytriptiline. I have had success with the combination, but everyone is different. There has been some discussion on here about nerve blocks and shots that can be given in the neck. I have no experience with those, but you may want to find those diussions and check them out. Have a great day!