Numb head/neck

I am 28 yrs old with a 7mm herniation and I was diagnosed less than 2 weeks ago. I had a few questions. When I lay down the back of my head/neck go numb...does this happen to anybody else? Also on a side note what medications do you take for dizziness? I was prescribed meclizine but it doesnt work. I am trying to find some relief in the meantime while i wait to see the NS, It is hard to take care of two little ones and work feeling dizzy all the time. Thanks in advance!

Change pillows. That numbness can happen to anyone with or without Chiari. Generally it happens with too soft or too thick. I found that a wedge works best for me. others go without or go thin keeping it away fro their neck. If you are a side sleeper set it so your neck is straight.

Meclizine is a funny med it either works or it doesn't and the dose is critical. You don't want to go to high as its a antihistamine. BUT its failure/success gives some valuable info to your doc going forward as to just how your Chiari is effecting your body. So let him know asap whats going on......................

Thank you!

About the dizziness, I cannot emphasize enough how much exercises for primitive reflexes have helped me. They have eliminated dizziness for long periods - six months - before I have to do them again for a few days. No medication, no side effects, and no going around and around to doctors telling them about my dizziness with no solutions. Showers and step ladders are back in my life again.

I got the exercises from a physical therapist who took a specialized course or two about them. Ask at the clinic before the assessment if they know about them or strange looks and incomprehension is all you will get - and a wasted assessment fee! Or maybe google "Physical therapy" and "primitive reflexes". Worth a shot.

Best thing ever.

For many months maybe close to a year I couldn’t lay down in my bed because of the pressure on the back of my head…I spent most of my sleeping time sitting straight up on my couch…Since the fluid in my head was being blocked…added the pressure of laying my head down pressure made me dizzy

Hi there, I just joined today because I have confirmed that my chiari symptoms are coming back since my decompression surgery 3 years ago. Anyway I can say when I try to go to sleep on my back after a minute the back of my head goes numb and weird feeling like there's nothing protecting direct contact to the brain. I am dizzy too and I trip a lot. For the dizziness and stain in my neck, I take Dramamine, this helps me feel less pressure neck up.

Good luck to you.

-Chiari Girl

Is dramamine the same thing as meclizine?? Meclizine does not work for me:(

Maybe, there are two formulas for Dramamine. The New Non-drowsy contains a small amount of meclizine. The original formula does not but is rather dimenhydrinate. They are cousins not sibling so to speak. BOTH are antihoistamines. So may want to play in that arena too.............

cheree said:

Is dramamine the same thing as meclizine?? Meclizine does not work for me:(

What I do I take 3 generic Dramamines but the regular NOT the Non-drowsy. I think its the relaxing effect that helps. Does anyone take Imitrex for the numb arms, sore neck, migraine?

gabby jazzypants said:

About the dizziness, I cannot emphasize enough how much exercises for primitive reflexes have helped me. They have eliminated dizziness for long periods - six months - before I have to do them again for a few days. No medication, no side effects, and no going around and around to doctors telling them about my dizziness with no solutions. Showers and step ladders are back in my life again.

I got the exercises from a physical therapist who took a specialized course or two about them. Ask at the clinic before the assessment if they know about them or strange looks and incomprehension is all you will get - and a wasted assessment fee! Or maybe google "Physical therapy" and "primitive reflexes". Worth a shot.

Best thing ever.

Wow! I tried Physical Therapy and it always triggered first the nausea, then the migraine. Doc says it's because I have leakage from brain stem. But I'm now going to research physical therapist that are familiar with our condition. However, walking is amazing and helps me to feel stronger and much less heavy head.

Thanks for all the good info!

1. Leakage from brain stem? Are you sure that's what he said.. CSF leaks certainly can cause headaches. But a chronic leak is another matter and very concerning. It should be taken care of I would think...............

chiari girl said:

Wow! I tried Physical Therapy and it always triggered first the nausea, then the migraine. Doc says it's because I have leakage from brain stem. But I'm now going to research physical therapist that are familiar with our condition. However, walking is amazing and helps me to feel stronger and much less heavy head.

Thanks for all the good info!

I have back of head , neck, and sides go numb. Also arms and legs. there are exercises to do for vertigo that help more than the medicines ive tried.if it is vertigo and not just dizziness.

Also the exercises for vertigo arent like regular physical therapy which made my pain so much worse and triggered more cluster headaches on top of the migraines and chiari pain. Tho the exercises seem stupid and you feel stupid doing them they help more than medication and who needs another medication that doesnt work?