Newly diagnosed & having concerns

Hello all. I was diagnosed about a month ago with Chiari I malformation of 5mm. It was found when my primary doctor ordered a head CT to check my sinuses, which are always inflamed. He referred me to a neurosurgeon because of the results and because he knows I have chronic migraines. (I've suffered from migraines for about 15 years now.) I have daily headaches and neck pain/pain at the base of my skull that gets worse with crying, coughing, etc. and hits migraine severity on a weekly basis. I also have scoliosis, constant fatigue, depression, anxiety, insomnia, occasional dizziness, nausea, and other medical issues.

I'm trying to find out as much as I can about this condition before my appointment next month. Would some of you mind sharing your experiences with me? Did you have surgery to correct the problem? Did you opt to just manage symptoms with medication? Has that worked? I'm concerned about going the surgery route (if needed) only because I'm on social security disability and am in the county health care system. I don't have insurance and cannot choose which doctor I see. I would be assigned to the neurosurgical team at the local hospital that works with the low-income population. That's not to say that those doctors are any less qualified, but brain surgery isn't an area where you look for a discount. Ha. I'm just a little worried about not being able to choose my doctor should surgery be necessary.

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Thank you so much, Abby! I have some of those symptoms as well! I will definitely check out the website you mentioned! I'm so glad to be with other people who have this condition and understand. (Hugs)