New Member, Saw NS Today, 1cm and Looking at Surgery Soon

Hello everyone. My name is Anthony and I'm glad to have a support system here to work through these new findings. I'm a 36 year old male, 6'0", 165lb and "look" pretty healthy but feel pretty miserable.

I had a brain MRI where the report showed what the doc that reviewed the results thought to be 5-7mm protrusion consistent with Chiari Type 1.

Today I saw the NS and he feels it is closer to 1 cm. Rewinding a bit, here are my symptoms:

MIGRAINE: Severe. 2-5 times per week for over 10 years, getting much worse over the past 2-3yr. Gets worse with barometric/weather changes.

NECK PAIN: Severe and constant. From the back of my head down. I have a known degenerative disc C3-C4 with a 6mm tail, but symptoms have also worsened over the past 2-3yr. Pain shoots down my shoulders>arms>hands and they tingle and go numb.

TIREDNESS/FATIGUE: Severe/debilitating. I never feel rested regardless of how much sleep I get. I've also had this issue for years, but has gotten much worse in the past 2-3 years.

BACK PAIN: This is what prompted the initial work-up. All the above I figured was attributed to migraine+neck issues, etc, but I started having AWFUL pain deep in my back, butt, around into my hips, the tendon/ligament in the front (that "lifts" your leg) is always tight and painful, quads and whole legs hurt and go numb. This started 2-3 years ago and I figured it was sciatica but a lower lumbar MRI showed a bit of early degeneration and early arthritis, but nothing to the scale I was complaining. Doc did an EMG test which showed a lot of nerve damage and that prompted him to send me for the brain MRI.

MUSCLE PAIN/WEAKNESS: Every muscle in my body hurts all the time. I feel like I got hit by a truck pretty much every morning and it takes till 2pm or so till I feel in the least bit functional. I soak in the hot shower and then drag my butt to work but it is no fun.

EYE PAIN: I also attributed this to migraine, but it has gotten a lot worse in the past 2-3yr also. Feels like pressure/pain and is pretty constant but worsens (sometimes with the barometer)

SLEEP APNEA: My wife says I snore extremely loud (I'm not overweight at all, skinny actually) and stop breathing all night every night. I toss/turn all night and never stop moving while I sleep.

I take Imitrex as needed for migraine, Tramadol daily for the neck pain (not really helping much any more), Percocet 5mg 3 per day for the back (pretty low mg... it "helps" but does not last), Gabapentin 100-400mg daily (not sure if it is helping or not). I stretch for 20-30 minutes every night which at least enable me to avoid being completely crippled the next day.

The NS seemed like a really great doc and did not "pressure" me to do anything. He wants me to seriously consider surgery with the question "can you live like this?".

He ordered a new MRI of the cervical spine since my last one was probably '03-'04 and wants me to come back in after we get those results.

I haven't really digested what he told me yet. I'm not really "scared" of having surgery, just worried about the downtime as my wife has serious health issues and I'm her primary caregiver. I also have work responsibilities just like everyone else, but I can barely function so I don't see many other options aside from going for the surgery.

I basically just wanted to introduce myself, share my story and ask anyone reading this to please give me their input, advice or support. I really appreciate you taking the time to read my story and respond... I've already scoured these forums and have likely read your story so far!

Warm regards,

Anthony

Welcome!
With ordering the MRI - did they order a CINE MRI- which looks at the CSF flow?

I have no input, but HI!!

My fatigue is my most bothersome symptom (though I do have pain, dizziness, nausea, etc... as well). I slept about 10 hours last night and feel just as bad today as the nights I only sleep 5-6 hours. Every night I sleep 5 (on really bad nights) to 11+ (on a lucky night) hours, but my fatigue is always pretty much the same... I can't DO hardly anything most of each day.