New here...low lying cerebellar tonsils

Hi everyone...first I want to say thanks for the welcomes already from just coming here.

I wanted to share some of my story, and hope that someone can help me out. A little background: I'm 25, college student, married mother of 2. I'm currently seeing a neurologist in Denver. I was actually referred to them because I get "attacks" where objects in my peripheral vision appear closer (strange, huh?). The neurologist ordered an EEG & MRI of the brain to "rule out" other conditions. He said that everything was normal, but I got a copy of my MRI results and it states that I have low lying cerebellar tonsils, but without evidence of a Chiari 1 malformation. I've been doing a lot of research, and from what I understand is that it's still considered Chiari, right? I know my neurologist will brush it off if I even bring it up to him. At my last follow up appointment, he prescribed me Propranolol to prevent migraines which landed me in the ER with chest pains so I stopped taking it. I was only on it for 3 days, so I don't know if it would have helped with the migraines had I been able to use it longer. All it did for me besides the chest pains was make me feel severely dizzy and weak. He also to take B-12 & Magnesium which I've been taking everyday for the past 2 weeks.

My symptoms that I get:
Headaches, mainly behind my right ear that feels like pressure

Sometimes the headaches are in the back of my head, like I've been hit with a baseball bat...OUCH!

Headaches pretty daily, especially after waking up in the morning, worse with laughing, etc

Right eye pain/pressure

Dizziness/vertigo

Right arm often feels weak, like it's being weighed down

Tingling in the right arm/hand

Husband says sometimes I slur my words

"Drunk feeling" (Mental fog)

Do these symptoms seem like they would be from Chiari?

I live in Denver, and I've researched Dr. Oro at the Chiari Care Center here, but I'm not even sure if I could get an appointment without having the "Chairi 1" Dx.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Welcome! I too live in Denver…call Dr. Oro! Awesome man and surgeon. They’ll schedule you. Take all your films with you! Good luck!
Monique

You should definitely call Dr. Oro for an appointment! I have heard a lot of wonderful things about him…You’re lucky to live so close:) Please keep us posted:)

I can't agree more - don't stop seeking help. Call and take the films. Don't give up on the meds either. I took that same medicine years ago and it worked for a while and then stopped. There are lots of medicines to try and this is just one.

I hope to hear back after you get help!! :-) Praying for you!

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll definitely call Monday and see what we can do. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get in to see him?

I have another follow up with my neuro on the 27th, is there any additional testing that maybe I could request to be done before hand that would be beneficial?

Hi my daughter was diagnosed with Chiari she is 20, she was getting headaches and describes them like you do. We went to a neurologist and all they wanted to do is give her meds. I took her to a neurosurgeon at Beth Isreal in NYC and he suggested surgery so be prepared for that, but I would def. go to a neurosurgeon. Good Luck!!

Thanks everyone. I called Dr. Oro's office today, and they told me to fax my MRI report and then they'll call to schedule me an appointment.