Neurosurgeon apt Final on Thursday

What do I need to do to prepare for the Neurosurgeon?

Does he need list of symptoms?

Do I need to have anything special prepared?

Will this apt be any different than seeing the neurologist?

Just wondering!

When I went to see the neurosurgeon I took my MRI, CT scans and xrays with me along with copies of the reports. You should be prepared to discuss the symptoms and severity of the symptoms with him. He will need all that information when deciding whether or not you need to have surgery I would asssume. I was able to get a copy of them on CDs. I also took along a list of questions to ask the doctor about the surgery itself, like what method he uses, how many Chiari surgeries he had done, his successs rate, recovery period, how he will control any pain you have, whether or not I would have to wear a cervical collar afterwards, would he do the followup himself, and a bunch of others. I'm really claustrophobic so I had some concerns about that too and I included questions on that. I don't know anything about the Canadian system of medicine, so not real sure what you would need to take with you there. We don't have a central data base for pictures, so I carry them with me when I go to the various doctors. I find it helpful also to take my husband along with me to appointments; it gives me another set of ears to listen to what the doctor has to say so that I don't have to remember it all. Hope this helps some. Good luck; I hope the appointment goes well. My neurosurgeon gave me lots of time and went over all my questions and concerns. I hope yours will too.

Hugs and Blessings

Shirley

You should bring a recent MRI for your neurosurgeon to see, other than that you don't need to do anything special, but before hand write down all of your symptoms and questions and bring that paper in with you to make sure you don't forget anything. What hospital are you having your surgery in? I had my surgery at St. Michael's Toronto.

Hi Nicole,

This is a link, that will tell you everything you need for your appt.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chiari-malformation/DS00839/DSECTION=preparing-for-your-appointment

I went on Thursday. The apt was for 11, but I arrived at 10:30. Filled out the forms and was lead to a room. Was seen by the orthopedic surgeon. (BTW I didnt realize that I was so off balance. Closing my eyes, I fall) I waited for an hour and a half and was advised that the neurosurgeon was in emergency surgery. I get that. But I also work. If I had known I needed to take a full day off work I would have, but as this is the begining of the month, even half a day is near impossible, let alone just before passover. I had to leave and will now have to reschedule. Why is my time irrelavent to the dr g-ds Wouldnt a quick phone call to reschedule been easier than this entire waste of my time