My MRI results... Pls offer help

Ok so I got my neurologist to fax my MRI result over and this is what it says

Standard brain protocol plus t2 midline sagittal sequence

The cerebellum tonsils are peg shaped and extend approximately 10mm below the level of the foramen magnum. The appearance are those of a Chiari 1 malformation. The extra axial CSF space at the foramen magnum has been completely effaced with distortion of the cervicomedullary junction consistent with extrinsic compression. No evidence of an associated syrinx in the cervical cord, the ventricles are normal in size no brain parenchymal abnormality demonstrated.

My question is what does this mean? Is 10mm quite bad or quite normal.

Thanks again guys. Also sorry for all the posts but this really does seem to be the only place I can get answers right now...

My herniation is also 10mm, or 1cm, and from what I've read around here, that's not terribly uncommon. Some of us have more herniation, some have less.

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

10mm is quite a big number but doctors lately have redefined CM as this NOT being a way to determine whether your case is serious or not. weird sentence, sorry :P

It sounds like they really went out of their way to say that everything looks completely fine even though your tonsils are outside of your skull. I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with your other posts... how are you feeling? symptoms?

Feeling lousy at the moment as i have a severe cold and the coughing is driving me crazy, almost making me pass out after some coughs... the back of my head hurts and i feel heavy headed.. had a dull headache for about 2 days running now but again i have a cold and this could of course be from that.... Waking up is prob one of the worst times of day for me for some reason... i pretty much have to throw 3 Anadin extra down my throat the moment i wake up... back is killing me and feels like someone is sticking something in the back of it but again it is manageable....

The problem is knowing what is to do with the cold and what is to do with the Chiari

I do have one question? When i sneeze i get a really weird pain in my forearms that is like an intense ache.. lasts about 40 seconds then wears off and it really does hurt.....

Prob nothing to do with Chiari but another weird thing ive had happening to me for about 18 months... thats about when the pressure headaches started...

I’m sorry you’re feeling so miserable:( Having a Cold with Chiari is awful! You should talk to your doctor about getting some RX strength cough syrup. Coughing is one of the worst things for us! My doctor always gives me cough syrup when I’m sick…It does help. I hope you feel better soon!