Moods after decompression surgery

My 14 y/o daughter had the decompression surgery on October 10th. She is doing well for the most part. Still pain and stiffness at incision and surrounding areas, however she is very emotional and gets tired very easily. I know this was a very traumatic experience but was wondering if anyone else has had these emotions? Per the NS she is excused from school 2-3 weeks next week she should be going back. I don't think she is ready--- started home tutoring last week (1 hour per subject) She had 2 days of one hour and Thursday was 2 hours combined. It totally wiped her out She slept all day Friday and most of the weekend took long naps. She is not scheduled to see NS until Nov. 10th. I thinks she should stay home until then and when she does go back it should start as half days. Any informaiton regarding my concerns/issues is greatly appreciated.

I definitely agree with you! My NS recommended being off work for AT LEAST 4 weeks and I have a minimally labored job. I would call the NS and ask. Mood swings are very common and I am 4 days post op and been on top of the world to sobbing. Depression is a common side effect of surgery because it is depressing when a person realizes what they can't and may never be able to do. Exhaustion is also to be expected for several months. Sleep is the body's way of focusing on healing. I would call her NS and then if he says no, call her NL, and if he says no, her family doctor. Don't send her back until SHE is ready because it will make things worse.

Hi, I took 2.5 months off after my decompression, 2-3 weeks is not reasonable for most people. Let her go at her own pace and sleep as much as she needs. Yes, I was emotional too. There was a lot of crying but it evened out over a couple of months. Just keep telling her she is doing a great job and you are doing a great job too mom!

Jenn

I was off for about 4 months after my surgery, I had a few set backs in recovery because I was trying to do too much. Do what you feel is best for her and what she feels she can do. Let her go at her own pace.

My 14 y/o daughter had decompression surgery on October 10th as well in Hershey,Pa. Headaches are back- she sleeps everyday after school for at least 2-3 hours. Takes 200 mg of topamax/ 2x day. No change since the surgery. We go back to NS on 4/14 and another MRI.

How is your daughter doing now?